Power comes on screen is dead

bigbondfan

In Runtime
i put an nvidea geforce fx5500 256mb agp graphics card in my computer. It sometimes turns on fine and works for about an hour, but then the screen freezes, makes some pretty colours, then turns off. The computer stays on the the screen refuses to do anything. the computer will then not turn back on for a couple of hours, or it will turn on but the screen stays dead. I have tried taking the card out, but the same happens again, so it doesn't seem to be the card.

Have you overclocked the card? Sounds like its getting far to hot. Then again it could be your PSU. What wattage is it?

Well the card's heatsink is very cool as it is usually only on for about an hour. How do I find out if it's being overclocked?

Took the computer to our local computer repair shop and they were confused too. They had run some diagnostics tests and came up with these results
-"The video card was unable to change into all the modes which it reports as supported."
-Video memory tests = OK
-Processor = OK
-Mainboard = OK
-System memory = OK
-Cacher memory = OK
-HDD Cachr = OK
-Drivers = OK
-Read / Verify = OK

Hmm...looks like you have a faulty card. Is it possible to just replace it? If its got a warranty?

Yes, but it doesn't seem to be the card since it happens when I take the card out. I have another card identical to this card in another computer working fine, should i try swapping them? I don't want to break another computer!

It happens when you take it out?... have you got an onboard video working too then thats causing it?...

Yeah, but it'll be the card that will be faulty, not the other one. You could try that though.

No i doubt it.

What do you mean by, when you take the card out, it still does it. Whats the computer running with then when you do that?

Back
Top Bottom