2nd hard drive won't show up in my computer

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I have a Windows 98 computer that I had a 2nd hard drive in for about a week, then when I tried to install something on it it dissappeared from "My Computer". It still showed up as a slave hard drive when starting up, but it didn't ever show up on my computer. Then I tried another hard drive thinking that the other hard drive went bad, same results. I formatted them from CMOS, but still same results. I want another hard drive on this computer because it didn't have much space to start with and now that I have several programs on it, it only has about 500 MB left. My only other thing that I could do that I can think of is trade master hard drives with another computer and maybe that second drive will work with that. If it's something that went wrong with the motherboard then I have no clue what to do. Just so you know, the copmputer in my sig isn't the one I'm talking about

you have to format it by right click MY COMPUTER>MANGA>THEN DISK MANAGEMENT, then format the one which is slave.

make sure your Jumpers on the back of the harddrive are shoiwn as 32MB SLAVE

I'll try, but the problem is that once I boot Win 98 it won't show up that there is a 2nd drive at all, so most likely it won't show up in disk management.

I prefer XP for working with multiple hard drives
or external ones...

You can even swap hard drives from one computer to the other
and no problem. W 98 thinks the system is incomplete wen
you do this...

And for USB external drives, you must install a driver in W98...
XP has it bundle inside the system...

How big is the 2nd drive. 98 has an issue about recognizing drives over 32 gigs. You may need to repartition the driv to 32gig or smaller for each partition.

If its formatted to NTFS for example, it wouldn't show up in Win98 though its weird it was there before and then dissapeared completly.
Win98 will only work with FAT32 drives.

I guess someone with registry knowledge is in order to help make it appear :p

The drive is about 3.5 gigs. I beleve it's FAT32. I don't think any of the hard drives I have are NTFS. I've put 2 hdds on several win 98 computers that I have at my house, and none of the others have had this problem yet. I know the jumper is in the right place, it even shows up as the slave hdd when I first turn on the computer because I have it set as automatic hdd detection. I guess all I can do now is swap master hard drives with another computer and then try to put the second hard drive on then.

Back
Top Bottom