A 3500 or 3000

100 bucks for 200 MHz isn't worth it unless you really need that extra 200 MHz. I run my system on 1.2 GHz just fine. (Upgrading to 2.2 here soon)

Look at it this way-

The 3000 is one of the best buys, and runs cool at 1.4v...

The 3500 is a dual Giga speed beast...

I'd get one that has a 939 pin chip, since it'd be easier to update when you want to with a new chip since this is the newest type. (Tthats if your motherboard doesn't only support 754)

I don't think you'd notice that much difference though, no. I would spend more money on a good graphics card though like TRDCorolla suggests.

But if you can, try and get the latest core, the Venice too, yeah since it has a few extra features to improove things over the Winchester core, and that'll be 939. So good choice there.

I think you can get a 3200+ like this, so look out for it (the venice core i've heard doesn't cost hardly anything more) or the 3000+, whichever.

I have the 3500+ (Winchester), though wouldn't say i'd notice that much of a difference over my mates 3200+ (Clawhammer) to tell the truth, only mine has better graphics and so performs better in games, and more RAM. So that would be the cause of it.

I don't know myself why I spent that much more on a CPU when I could have upgraded my so so 9800 Pro graphics card :p

He said he didn't want to overclock, but I said I wasn't going to, but want to. You'll need a more decent cooler though, though Athlon64 ones are really cheap and yet deliver much more cooling than the standard one.

As for the 3000+ getting to 2.2ghz, thats great! Thats equivilent to the 3500+ without spending that much more :p since that runs at 2.2ghz too, though if they all use the same fan, you could probably push it to that with the default one...

How much do you think I could push this 3500+? Just interested :p I doubt it'd be that much though, and do need extra cooling.

Though I have to warn you that it would mean having a really good motherboard and RAM too to push it this far, don't you think? Wouldn't just matter about getting the 3000+ and thinking you can overclock it as much as you two have straight away. I'd guess it would need some work :)

If you really don't want to overclock though, settle in the middle and get the 3200+ Thats my opinion. Though the 3000+ wouldn't be that worse, though is clocked at 1.8ghz I think.

Would you suggest going for the 6800GT then, as a better video card?
I could get the 6000GT for 170 (128MB)..
And the 6800GT for 365 (256MB).

Reccomended?

I'm going to stick with the 3200 though, as its not that much difference and it is a venice core and the specifications look nice, so I'm sure it'll run great.

That's a big difference in price between those video cards. The 6800GT is a better video card for those who is willing to pay nerly $400 for them.

As for OC the CPU, it's better to OC the memory too for better stability.

Yeah, the 3200+ with Venice is great :)

As for the card, it depends all on what you want to do.

The 6600Gt is a nice cheap option yet will run all new games at medium res's and at high settings, yet wouldn't last you as long as the 6800gt but you get hit back on price. If you have the money though that yuo were going to spend on a more expensive processor, go for it, as you'll get more of a speed boost on games.

If you only go as high as 1200x1024 on games for example, and this card can go up to 1600x? + then you'll get more of a performance boost for longer, since you'll be able to keep at high settings for more games to come, than if you shoved all the res's up for all games.

Its all up to how you play games. In my opinion, games are meant to be played at full settings and such, so if you have the money, go for the 6800Gt as you will notice a boost from the 6600Gt in Frames Per Second.

Back
Top Bottom