Sound Lag (Static) & Video Lag

Coldkilla1

Solid State Member
Heya. I've had this computer for a few months. For about 5 months, the computer worked wonders, then just one day out of the blue: The computer's sound started to lag, in CD's, in games etc.. I can no longer watch movies or downloaded AVI's or any online video's due to the fact that the computer lags itself when sound lags. If I had a song playing in the backround, lets say no other applications were running, it might not lag. But as soon as I try to navigate into a folder, it will lag as the folder is appearing. Lets take a loading screen in a game, where there is an application running and music in the backround, the loading now takes 5x longer.

What I do not understand is, 5 months ago it was working fine and this just all of a sudden happened right? So what do I think? I think virus right, so I do a complete system format & partition both of my HDDs (I have only two).

After format, the computer worked awesome, I mean it went to desktop from startup in 15 seconds, opposed to the 2-3 minutes it took before. It played all of my music that I backed up on cd's perfectly. I could even copy another file in the backround while music was playing and there would be not a hint of lag. Then after those two days, it magically became retarded again, and now I'm here!!

System specs for all ya super tech dudes that need to know a lot:

O/S: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Processor: AMD 3000+, MMX, 3D Now, ~2.0GHz
RAM: 1024mb DDR Corsair
HHDs: 2x Western Digital 7200rpm 80gb
MSI K8T800
On-Board Sound
GeForce 6800GT 256MB

If there is anything I need to buy, please stat it here (Perhaps sound card or something), etc. Anything you can think of, I am here to listen. Thanks

Whats it plugged into? Your MOBO? Try reinstalling the drivers for it. Or download the latest.

1st: The Mobo is updated. It was updated when i had it for 5 months and then it magically started to lag. Then I reformatted, it worked for two days, then it went back to its original state.
2nd: What is plugged into what? Sound Card/Mobo? I have on-board sound so I don't understand the question.

Could it be my PSU? Could it be that I don't have a sound card? Could it be that I have a virus that I cannot get rid of, even after a complete format (Not a quick format)? I can buy another PSU since mine is still the one I got with the Case or a sound card if the price is right. I just dont feel like spending an entire paycheck on this problem.

Again.. everything is updated but the problem still exists

Any Idea's to help me pinpoint this problems origin? so i know what I need to fix and an estimate on how much this'll cost me

Hmm.. noone knows eh? Hmm, well guess I am going to spend 200+ on extra parts for this computer in HOPES that that will fix it, if it doesnt.. there goes my extras in my paycheck

It sounds like you have a driver issue or a program that you are installing is conflicting. Most sound issues are driver related but the lag is a conflicting problem.Go here and let them run a complete diagnostics for you:
http:www.pcpitstop.com
this is a good and safe site for anyone that would like to use . They will test your system and hold the specs and you can retest from time to time to see if you are still where you wish to be.

I just 'restored' my computer one day before the problem happened. It worked, but I can almost garentee the problem will be back tomarrow for some unknown reason. i can feel it

Its werid that it keeps coming back...Dont think you have a virus. Mabye your CPU is over heating.

he has a valid point there cpu overheating or maybe your graphics card's fan has broken possibly, Have you checked the temperatures in the bios?

Is there something that can monitor the temps and save them in some file somewhere? So I can look at stats opposed to a live picture of whats going on?

I go to a gaming center once a week.. Would that effect anything? If anything is shooken up, what do you suggest for maximum protection? I styrofoam & bubble wrap it everytime I take it there but.. Is there something I can better to do make it more 'stirdy'? Perhaps things get loose, when you say overheat.. maybe my heatsink or something moved or something,.. Hmm yea for those temps.. something would be nice to see if it hits high temps and monitor it.. maybe beep if it peaks to a high :)

That might explain it, but heres the thing as well. When the problem was here, the computer took longer to start 1-2minutes instead of 15-20seconds. Even if it was morning and not used in 9+ hours. The start up noise lagged up too.

I don't know if I could blame it on a loose part because, I restored it back when when I formatted this. l And it still works oddly enough. nothing is wrong now, but the problem occured 2x so it will be back. Maybe its the power I'm getting, if I buy a psu I need to know a thing or two: What do I need to know before buying a PSU? Will watts be the determining factor or stability? Which brand is the best? Do all HDDs with LEDs indicate that that is a bad PSU? I currenty have the default MGE 450w PSU that came with my 'Ninja' case. If you have any good reccommendations for the price range of 60-100, please lemme in on what you think. Sound cards, I need one, I don't know where to start with those ether.

Back
Top Bottom