Athlon 64 X2- Dual core proccessors!!!

99tollap

In Runtime
First performance details are coming through regarding the new dual core processors from AMD and Intel. AMD's is called the X2, and comes in several flavours, from the 4200 to the 4800 which two cores running at 2.4 ghz. Prices range from £300 to £600. I haven't seen the performance details for the AMD line, but the top of the range Intel processor (P4 EE 840) shows a 50% for some areas over a 3.8 ghz P4!!!
What do people think?!

That's pretty cool, but I've heard that a 1.8 proccessor can function the same as a 4.0 chip so that really isn't a big thing. I doubt this information I got from the website concerning the chips is true, but if it is.....we've been wasting out money just to say we have a high performance 4.0 chip that functions the same as a 1.8 GHZ.

You dont need that much power unless your running servers. Or one of NASA's super computers...

What types of motherboards will be required for this processor? I might want to upgrade and sell my processor when the prices are good, but I'd rather not get rid of the mobo..

I thought any Socket 939 supported motherboard should support the newest dual-core Athlon's with a BIOS flash. Correct me if I am wrong.

I managed to find that just after the post... I guess once they come out with it for my mobo I might consider selling my 4000+

Overkill? Maybe now but the chips aren't out yet. It's rumoured that ATi and Nvidia have some serious developments up their sleaves, and new graphics engines for games will seriously test even todays best systems. Dual core is the future (look at PS3).

My next system will run dual core and using Longhorn 2006. Can't wait. Unreal Tournament is coming out with a new game engine that will take advantage of dual core!!!!! Yay....

AMD's X2's will be better overall than Intel's Pentium D's because AMD desgined the orginal Athlon 64 archtecture to support multiple cores in the future instead.

Back
Top Bottom