does the type of heatsink really matter?

asmpic

Beta member
I just bought an AMD sempron 2900+ and I was under the impression it was going to come with a heatsink but it didnt so I was wondering will I be able to use my athlon XP 1200's heatsink instead? Or will the processor overheat? I tried going to compusa but all I could find was heatsinks with fans for 1.2ghz and up...I didn't know the heatsinks were classified by the speed of the processor.

You got the OEM/Bulk version. The Retail comes with the heatsink. Yes, it does matter. Obviously, some are smaller with weaker fans and just aren't as capable of keeping the processor cool. Besides, I SERIOUSLY doubt one made for as low as a 1.2GHz would even fit the sempron. That one you found is probably for like a SocketA/370...

The_Other_One said:
You got the OEM/Bulk version. The Retail comes with the heatsink. Yes, it does matter. Obviously, some are smaller with weaker fans and just aren't as capable of keeping the processor cool. Besides, I SERIOUSLY doubt one made for as low as a 1.2GHz would even fit the sempron. That one you found is probably for like a SocketA/370...

Right on the money.
Also it has a lot to do the finish of the heatsink. If it is highly polished the better it is at heat transfer from the chip to the heat sink. If it is poorly finished then there is less heat transference. Sometimes you can save a little by "lapping" (polishing) the heatsink yourself.
If you are interested in this:
http://www.directron.com/hsflapping.html

Yeah, I saw this article teaching you how to lap your heatsink and when they showed you pictures, the final product was like a metal mirror O.O

Back
Top Bottom