Whats the role of the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The agency has better things to do? There we go again into the logical fallacies. Want some facts? Here is the 2005 Budget:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2005/justice.html

The FBI is the lead agency within DOJ for combating terrorism. Since September 11th, the FBI has made preventing terrorist attacks its number one priority and has instituted a number of organizational, procedural, and resource allocation changes to support this goal. In addition, it has received significant resource increases in recent years, with funding rising from $3.0 billion in 2000 to approximately $4.5 billion in 2004, plus over $1 billion in supplemental funding in 2002 and 2003. The Budget proposes $5.1 billion for the FBI in 2005. Among the principal increases are:

$38 million to improve the FBI's intelligence capability, including a new Office of Intelligence to coordinate intelligence requirements and collection, additional language translators, and additional surveillance staff;

$60 million for counterterrorism investigations;

$55 million to combat cybercrime; and

$52 million to protect the United States from foreign government intelligence operations and espionage.

---------

Looks like a bunch of increases to me. Cybercrime budget was increased as well as terrorism. Guess what? We have the money to make huge increases in everything. The government goes after these people themselves.

I never said they didn't have the time to deal with it. They just have a lot of these complaints to deal with. I'm not wrong. Pretty much I'm right about everything in this thread.

your not rading my opsts are you...

the FBI took $55 million to combat cyber crime...

yet when XPuser asked whether he should report it you quite clearly said that he shouldn't bother as the FBI was busy and wouldn't care...

What I'm asking is why is it the FBI aer too bust/non caring when it's real plain average joes who are being taken for a ride, but they can do some real investigating and bust some dawn raiding ass when it's a big hollywood man getting ripped off?

My argument is emotinal, and it is ilogical, but it's an argumentpeople want to hear answers too, how much of the $55 million of tax payers money has actually gone protectnig the people who paid the money, and how much has gone doing other things for people who didn pay the money?

I'm reading your posts very well. I think they are horrible and without logic. But right now lets leave at this: I'll agree to disagree. I have a date to get to. I'd rather go on this date then argue with someoen who is too biased and one sided to see anything other then his own delusional mind set. You say the FBI has enough resources to check emails, yet once they start getting warrants to go after people committing crimes you say they should. Your argument is highly illogical. and it is argumentative.

Maybe you should realize that many people have jobs that could be at risk because of copyright violations. Have you ever thought of that one?

You're argument is horrible. Good day to you.

Hope you had a nice date.

actually it was you who said the FBI didn't have resources to read the 419 scammer emails...

in some cases like this people have lost money, in others people have actually gone to meet these people and have lost their lives...

(I think thats worth a little more than someones job), besides my argument isn't that the reasonably paid studio engineer already gets enough money, my argument is that the hollywood big shots, who have ultimatly applied the reassure for these investigations already have more than enough, and perhaps if they were to take a pay cut and make their product more reasonably priced, less people would be inclined to infringe on the copyright...

anyway thats besides the point....

My argument is emotional, that's because humans are emotional creatures...
My argument is illogical humans are ilogical too...

Te reason my argument is illogical is I am aruing that one crime (extortion, money laundering and possible intent to murder) should be given more poilice time whilst another doesn't matter so much...

You are arguing that one particular crime (copyright infringment) is moer important and deserves more time than others...

(so your argument is illogical too)...

Te point I'm trying to make,
when a bunch of 15 year old kids have gotten a hold of a pirate pre-release copy of star wars, their houses get raided, there computers are taken, they are arrested and wll go through the courts, their computers will be held and analysed as evidence...

and thats al good, they commited a crime and should be punished...

however, when was the last time you heard of anyone who scammed a load of people getting arrested in some kind of spectacular dawn raid?

I think you'll find the answer will be it just doesn't happen... extortion is just not a high profile crime, it doesn't have TV coverage and adverts warning against it in cinemas in the same way copyright infringement does...

My point, (albeit illogical and emotional) is...

when I pay a proportion of my wages to the government as taxes, I expect to be protected...
I realise that people in the creative industris also pay taxes, and have a right for protection of their livelyhood, however if you consider that I pay the same percentage as them in taxes, it seems unfair that they have rather a lot more police time devoted to them...

Can I assume that your view that the lawenforcement agencies are great means that you've never been a victim of crime?

root said:
Hope you had a nice date.

actually it was you who said the FBI didn't have resources to read the 419 scammer emails...

in some cases like this people have lost money, in others people have actually gone to meet these people and have lost their lives...

Those cases are investigated from what I have heard. Though people retarded enough, I don't think deserve my sympathy or the sympathy of anybody. I trash the emails. Discurso finito.

my argument is that the hollywood big shots, who have ultimatly applied the reassure for these investigations already have more than enough, and perhaps if they were to take a pay cut and make their product more reasonably priced, less people would be inclined to infringe on the copyright...

Your argument is simply nonsense. That's all I'm going to say. I'm sorry but you cannot go soft on any crime. That looks very bad and you are applying justify unequally.

any
My argument is emotional, that's because humans are emotional creatures...
My argument is illogical humans are ilogical too...

Partly correct. I happen to be logical in this regard because I use reason and facts.

Te reason my argument is illogical is I am aruing that one crime (extortion, money laundering and possible intent to murder) should be given more poilice time whilst another doesn't matter so much...

You are not paying attention. You don't anything about the US and how many resources we actually have. We can invest the time into other crimes other then that. I'm sick of you. You cannot just go around saying we should not apply laws because it isn't convenient.

You are arguing that one particular crime (copyright infringment) is moer important and deserves more time than others...

Nope. I'm sorry but I never said that. I said all incidents that violate the law should be investigated and not bypassed. Your argument and you are acting illogical. I'm very reasonable and very just in my statements.

Te point I'm trying to make,
when a bunch of 15 year old kids have gotten a hold of a pirate pre-release copy of star wars, their houses get raided, there computers are taken, they are arrested and wll go through the courts, their computers will be held and analysed as evidence...

Invalid. These do not take hundreds of hours to investigate. Rather a very small amount of time.

however, when was the last time you heard of anyone who scammed a load of people getting arrested in some kind of spectacular dawn raid?

Many times. Again another invalid premise. You should watch court TV and how many people are nabbed in insurance scam frauds (that robs all of us).

I think you'll find the answer will be it just doesn't happen... extortion is just not a high profile crime, it doesn't have TV coverage and adverts warning against it in cinemas in the same way copyright infringement does...

I think your argument is falling apart, yet again. You know nothing about the law enforcement in this country or how it works.

when I pay a proportion of my wages to the government as taxes, I expect to be protected...
I realise that people in the creative industris also pay taxes, and have a right for protection of their livelyhood, however if you consider that I pay the same percentage as them in taxes, it seems unfair that they have rather a lot more police time devoted to them...

Nor are you an american citizen, so what goes on in this country is none of your concern. Unlike you, we want justice for a--holes who break the alw. There are thousands of employees who deserve to be protected from scammers. You are being inconsistent and unfair.

Can I assume that your view that the lawenforcement agencies are great means that you've never been a victim of crime?

You need to grow up.

root said:
Edited for brevity...

Can I assume that your view that the law enforcement agencies are great, means that you've never been a victim of crime?

Most probally not, If he had been, you would have heard about it ad nauseum.

You need to stop mocking me. Ad nauseum? What's that? A weird skin disease? It is ad hominem. You have problems with the english language?

Ok guys...I think we should stop this NOW. You guys can continue about the topic, but STOP the mocking and teasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom