enabling admin$

thecoolkid

Baseband Member
Hey,

I have two computers and I am running penetration testing on them. I was wondering if it is possible to enable/connect to the admin$ in Windows XP Home. Thanks for the help.

thecoolkidontheblock

Admin$ is the default share name of the root drive on you windows machine. To enable it, you enable remote administration to that machine and that will enable the root as a share with name admin$. I don't know if this answers your question or if you already knew it.

thanks

thanks for the reply. I had already known that but I forgot. I am really asking is it possible to enable the admin$ in windows xp home and how...

thecoolkidontheblock

if you enable remote admin on the computer that will automatically create the default admin$ share. If you need to do it some other way, you could probably go to that directory (c:/windows) and enable the share from there, by right clicking -> properties -> sharing

But how? I tried, windows won't allow it. Is there some *.exe file in the system32 folder by any chance?

thecoolkidontheblock

I never said that I didn't. I do. Let me get that straight. But I don't think that windows (by default) lets you share the Windows Folder. Is there any function that enables this? Or a command?

thecoolkidontheblock

I don't know if there is a function or command. On the computer i am on right now WinXP administrative priveleges, i can enable this share two ways:

1. Go to C:\Windows and right click. Click properties and go to the Sharing tab. Click share this folder. Share Name = ADMIN$

2. Go to Control Panel->System->Remote and click allow remote connections.

I am not too sure about the second one, I think the first time you do it, it will create the share, but the first one will work.

it is a impossible

windows.jpg

This is a screenshot from my computer (cropped).

thecoolkidontheblock

Try this...go to start->run->\\computername\ADMIN$

This is one way to see if it is shared or not
Windows will automatically set that share..thats the only other thing i could think of

Back
Top Bottom