slow SBC yahoo! DSL

animefreak

Baseband Member
i have been have this problem just recently

i just installed SBC Yahoo! DSL along with Mozilla Firefoz 1.0.4 and the this is that evr since i installed it it runs pretty slow ... i dont know y. mozilla firefox is working fine!

and now the home page wont even load

can somebody help?

SBC yahoo DSL....It is still a phone line.
Depending on your geographic location to the main station and how old of a neighborhood you live in will dictate as to what kind of speeds you truely get.
SBC has a bad tendancy not to tell you that tad bit of information along with the time of day(5-6pm) and how slowwww you will be.
Also they refuse to tell you that they may be haveing problems on the line..in fact they will just bold face lie about it.
With that said and all. It still doesn't mean that you may not have an issue with the set-up.
Does it also run slow thru IE ? or is it just through mozila?
Try to uninstall the program and then reinstall it.
disable the yahoo tool bar and see if that helps you any.
All of those things can be your problem. Let me know what all you have tried and we will go from there.

Whether or not it is a phone line or not, does not matter. This is high end DSL. SBC has a bad tendency not to hell how slow it will be? Based on my own experience, SBC is super fast. And I have had plenty experience with your support. You are unhelpful, and generally unknowledgeable, lurkswithin. You're also full of crap as SBC is ranked as one of the best in quality.

The one thing that may be causing a problem is you may have to update the drivers on your speedstream DSL modem.

i think that i have figured it out . evrytime i turn off Sygate personal firewall SBC tends to speed up ... now my problem i how can i allow my internet to speed up without haveing to terminating my firewall?

Giancarlo said:
Whether or not it is a phone line or not, does not matter. This is high end DSL. SBC has a bad tendency not to hell how slow it will be? Based on my own experience, SBC is super fast. And I have had plenty experience with your support. You are unhelpful, and generally unknowledgeable, lurkswithin. You're also full of crap as SBC is ranked as one of the best in quality.

Lurkswithin is at least partially right, as far as I know. If you have bad phone lines in your town, the data can get harder to transfer. I know I had bad lines in my old house, and our service was disgustingly slow. We got a new line and never had a problem after that. As far as SBC being good - couldn't tell you. I've never gotten their service, but if I had to choose a DSL provider, I doubt it would be them. They just come off too much like AOL to me, but.... [shrug]. Cable all the way.

It depends because that's not the case in California where infrastructure is pretty good, especially related to phone lines. They also do maintainiance and upgrades to the phone lines overtime. SBC comes off as AOL? What are you on? You never tried it.. yet you can say that? I am using it and it is very reliable and superfast. Faster then the cable in this area.

CAble sucks. Cable is what is slow. Cable is horrible. If you want to waste money.. fine go ahead get cable. You can have your shared connections and 56k connections at peak hours.

DSL is way better. No wonder why DSL is winning the battle.

Okay, first of all, I never said SBC is exactly like AOL. I said that SBC kinda feels like AOL. In terms of just their overall feel. Okay? Notice that I said that I couldn't make a good judgement BECAUSE I HAD NEVER USED IT! Please read. Also, I used to think that cable was bad, too. For the same reasons you think it is. It really isn't. I think both are good. There's nothing wrong with DSL, and there's nothing wrong with cable. I see them as equal. Cable has never been bad for me. No slow times at ANY hours of the day. There should be no argument here.

SBC has actually increased their transmission rate and reduced the price. I'm like, WTF? You're getting faster connections and you're paying less? Wow...SBC called a friend of mine about that. What else was he going to say? "Umm, that's a tough decision. I like fast internet, and I like paying less money. Uhhh, ok I'll get the upgrade", very sarcastically.

I like cable internet too because it is fast as well. The only thing is the cost. DSL isn't available in my area (yet), but hopefully soon after they do all their upgrades. Then I can get on it. I need to cut back on my bills.

Maybe the reason why SBC DSL is slow is the upgrades they're doing? Perhaps routine maintenance? They have great customer service and I would call them up to see what they say.

Yep. I pay $26.95 now and I get more speed then I did two years ago. I was surprised. SBC is a great company.. it is practically faster then cable now. Cable Internet is like $24.95 for the first three months.. and then it shoots up to like $49 or $59/ monthly.

SBC has remained fast for me.

Back
Top Bottom