Installing Graphic Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

augusti

Beta member
I bought an MMORPG yesterday but found out that my current graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements for running the game.

The game manual recommended an ATI Radeon 9xxx and above DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with 128 MB VRAM.
The minimal requirements are: DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with Programmable shader (ATI Radeon 8xxx, 9xxx and above, Nvidia GeForce 3 and above, excluding GeForce4 MX) and 64 MB VRAM.
So I went to BestBuy today and I ended up purchasing an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card (it also says that it's AGP, 8x/4x, and has 256 MB).

My dad (which does not know much at all about computers) "checked to see if the graphics card would fit into our processor"... He said that it won't fit... I said that it should, since the system requirement for the graphics card is that the processor be an Intel Pentium 4, and ours is just that.... He gives me a demonic glare and say that "ALL COMPUTERS ARE INTEL PENTIUM 4 AND IF I CHECKED MY AUNT'S COMPUTER, IT WOULD ALSO BE PENTIUM 4."

QUESTION: Should the ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card be able to fit into my Intel Pentium 4 Processor??? How do I find the model number?

Please help me.

lol..
sorry!
The p4 really hasn't that much to do with whether it will fit or not....It all depends on your motherboard.
What are the specs on your computer.
Name Brand...
Model #......
If you can not tell by looking at the outside stickers or stamps or what have you.
everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
download this program and run it and it will tell you what the motherboard name and model number are.
Then we can tell you if it fits or not.

LOL, this is priceless ^^

Anyway, from the sound of things, you probably have onboard video and only PCI slots inside. You'll have to find a PCI video card(PLAIN PCI, NOT PCIe/PCI Express!) But you will not get the best performace out of it as PCI is a good bit slower than AGP

lol..
sorry!
The p4 really hasn't that much to do with whether it will fit or not....It all depends on your motherboard.
What are the specs on your computer.
Name Brand...
Model #......
If you can not tell by looking at the outside stickers or stamps or what have you.
everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
download this program and run it and it will tell you what the motherboard name and model number are.
Then we can tell you if it fits or not.

Name Brand: Dell
Model #: I couldn't figure out how to find the model number using the program you recommended or by looking at the label -- there are so many numbers.
Could you tell me which set of numbers is the model # please?
[A:
B: WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL 1- 2CPU
C:
D: ............oh my gosh I just realized it says "Product Key"....does that also mean model number? I'm so so dumb. Well the # is:

Thank you so much for replying!

The key code is a very guarded number. Don't ever post it. I'm pulling the pic also. The sticker in the pic has absolutly nothing to do with any thing but your xp operating system and is so private your johnson will have more attention than those numbers in comparesion.

The_Other_One said:

Anyway, from the sound of things, you probably have onboard video and only PCI slots inside. You'll have to find a PCI video card(PLAIN PCI, NOT PCIe/PCI Express!) But you will not get the best performace out of it as PCI is a good bit slower than AGP

Yes that is what I was thinking too.
I have to laugh about it because I see this all the time even though I have forgotten how many times I have made posts dealing with knowing your specs before buying anything.
I do give credit that you read the specs on the box though...sorry you didn't understand their meaning .

I'm sorry that I don't know much about model numbers and all...

Thank you for telling me about PCI, but could you also recommend the product I should get? Thank you!

On the front of the computer there should be a name of your computer...." Dell something or another" Please don't go posting anymore pictures. It was a good idea but very foolish for that particular item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom