maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i didnt expect this much help. your a great buch here. no its slow at acessing data and have been told to use maxblast or summet.

i want my western digital back it did me good. it was quet fast and flawless. :(

alvino said:
I'm using a Seagate myself and it is VERY quiet. The only Maxtor that I like is the SATA II ones with 16mb cache. Western Digital are actually faster than most Maxtors...the 10,000 rpm Raptors in dual RAID 0 are leave any Maxtor in the dust. Seagates aren't horrible. Their SCSI Cheetah drives are way better and faster than anything Maxtor can offer.

It depends on what kind of WD and Maxtor you have. There are faster Maxtors out there. The fastest Western Digitals aren't faster then the fastest Maxtors. You need to understand Maxtor is faster when you regard the faster drives they have. Seagates are terribly bad, and there you go again comparing SCSI drives with ATA. Seagate is horribly unreliable.

Maxtor is way better then Seagate. Maxtor leaves seagate blowing chunks. Maxtor is faster then both Seagate and WD. Bar none. You need to stop spewing disinformation.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but, I was comparing Seagate SCSI drives to Maxtor SCSI drives. Seagates aren't unreliable, at least not for me. I guess you didn't have that good of luck with them (or you were really unlucky to get defect drives).

I'm not spewing disinformation. I'm expressing my opinion of all three companies. I'm sorry if I didn't add the "IMO" part if you really need it. You need to be more open-minded and realize that the best computer companies aren't only AMD, nVIDIA and Maxtor. :rolleyes: Those companies may suit your needs, but it doesn't extend to others. Right now you're sounding like you're stating a fact, when it's really your own opinion.

Well i had a maxtor 80 gig once as people have already said it made a kinda clikerty kerplunk sounds, kinda like when you shove in a floppy in its drive just abit high pitched at first i thought it was my Coolmaster stacker doing it because theres a 120mm fan right in front i thought it was getting stuck on that. but no it just did it occastional... following the point of noisey yeah it was rather noisey thinking about it even compared to my western digital raptor i have now more noisey then that...as alinvo said seagate are a good choice if you wanna spend alittle less (i am the proud owner of a 10gig seagate drive lol!)

also well said up there alinvo on that last post!
three cheers for those who like "4th party (my new phrase :p) company's"

My maxtors weren't as quiet as my Seagte, but more quiet than my Raptors! Hehe but be careful with them... I've been though so many of these drives it's not funny! They just keep dying on me!

Ah, and Speedydowt, I just gave away a maxtor 300MB SCSI drive ;) Hehe, and I have a Mac SE FDHD in my closet with a *gasp* 20MB drive in it ;)

alvino said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding but, I was comparing Seagate SCSI drives to Maxtor SCSI drives. Seagates aren't unreliable, at least not for me. I guess you didn't have that good of luck with them (or you were really unlucky to get defect drives).

Seagates have been a bad story for me. In fact, I almost got a burn because i took out the hard-drive and it literally went up in flames (the computer was OFF.. so no i wasn't stupid... the power supply was even off, the hard-drive just was messed up the day I got it). That was the final straw (I've made return after return.. same deal).

I'm not spewing disinformation. I'm expressing my opinion of all three companies. I'm sorry if I didn't add the "IMO" part if you really need it. You need to be more open-minded and realize that the best computer companies aren't only AMD, nVIDIA and Maxtor. :rolleyes: Those companies may suit your needs, but it doesn't extend to others. Right now you're sounding like you're stating a fact, when it's really your own opinion.

You are the one who needs to be more open minded about the facts. The best companies are AMD, nvidia and maxtor. None other. It most certainly does extend to others. I just don't want people to get burned like I did (literally and figuratively). :D I also checked with stores, they said Seagates typically have the highest return rate.

Well...

I'm using the Samsung Spin Point 80 series now. Quiet as a church mouse and runs so cool. The OEM models for 80gig run around $60.00USD.
You can get them anywhere they build systems such as Microcenter. I have 3 of them and they are great.

Cool. I heard Hitachi and Toshiba drives are pretty good too. Anyone heard anything about them?

Giancarlo, you like Maxtor and I like Seagate, PERIOD. (which signals the end of that)

rat_boy_100 said:
my maxtor isn't neccesarily noisy in general, but it does make a click/ker-plunk sound every now and then...haven't had any probs with it though. installed fine and has ran fine ever since (for about a month anyway :p)
That is the warning of the read/write arm going, it is nothing to take lightly, if i were you i'd start backing up your data while you still can, before long it will stop reading from the hhd and evenually you'll have to replace the hhd as well as re-installing all over again.

LMFAO!
This is so funny to listen to you two. I run a multiboot with 3 drives...40gig western digital....60gig seagate(part.30/30)....120gig maxter(part.40/30/30/20) they all make noise and all of them run absolutely great. Never had a failure from any one of them. In fact in over 400 builds using just about every HDD conceivable I have only had 1 bad one and I don't even remeber which one it was because it is so immaterial.
Giancarlo...you are 19 years old...and yet you have so much experience from all the builds that you have done.... or how ever many HDD you have had to replace because they were bad...
Alvino...you are even more younger than he is... so just exactly how much experience do you have to make that kind of judgement about it.
Only what you have read and you too want to argue constantly about it....
give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom