dead PC, need inputs

Kage said:
Hopefully the power supply will make it work :) Post when you've tested

I change the power supply with mine, and it turns on buy only for a moment then it hungs up.. and when i resarted it it wont.. no beeps but tge cpu fan is running this time.. so i turn it off.. is it possible that the processor was over heated bec of the thermal grease driead out? is it ok to put the heat sink back without any thermal grease?

Um...

The heat sink has to have the thermal grease or a thermal pad which is basicly the same thing. Grease is better. The fan has to be plugged in.
As for hurting the p4 chip, they are pretty forgiving as far as temps go. The built in thermal shut down protects the cpu chip. Sounds like something on the motherboard is shorting out. Or the psu start command is not locking in. Shut everything off and do this test.

Unplug the power plug from the mother board along with all the power plugs inside the computer. Put a jumper between the green wire and a black wire and see if the power supply's fan comes on. Take a fan from the case and plug it in to the power supply. If it spins up then you're good for the most part. Shut it off and put it all back together.
Take a light and look at the header where the led's and switches connect. Make sure all connections are where they should go and that the led polarity is correct. You can consult the owners manual or get the specs off the MOBO website. If you find anything wrong correct it with all the power off. That means the kill switch on the psu or yank the plug out of the wall.
Now I've seen where a scrambled bios can do something like this but i kinda doubt it in this case. However let's give it a go. Power off. Either remove the cmos battery or use the reset jumper. Give it a couple of mins and put it back just like you found it. Power up the psu and attempt to boot.
And although this may sound a bit dumb did you remove the motherboard from the case and put it back in? If you did, did you use the stand offs or mount it directly to the mounting plate?

yes, metal stand offs..

i've used my power supply with it.. and when i put back with my PC, my ps seems to work fine with my sytem.. anyway i still have to do the other tests in the mobo.. thanks

Some piece of hardware is definately shorting out the system when you start it up. If you get power to the mobo (led on mobo is lit up) that means that power is being received at the mobo. When you turn on the pc and it starts up, then either something is shorting out or the Processor is overheating very fast. Although I thought that if the gell was bad or dried, the processor wouldn't even start. Just a thought.

Intel p4's...

Intel p4's are very forgiving as I stated in my other reply. Within reason you can flail the h**l out of them. They get hot with out a heat sink and shut down. With a heat sink and no fan it takes a little longer. But they don't reach shut down temp in a matter of 2 or 3 seconds. Now as for the cpu fan, some mother boards have a cpu fan detection system built in. If no fan or below a set minimum speed nope it won't fire up. As for the gell or grease the system has no way to know it's even there. AMD on the other hand in those condistions will last the same amount of seconds as you have fingers on one hand. I'm gonna get jack slapped for this but I'd build a AMD system for me but only if They would put the thermal protection on the cpu die. Till then Intel will be my primary cpu chip.

But back on topic.
jportz28
Did you look behind the motherboard to see if something may have fallen behind it? Something metal perhaps...

suggest you take the cheapest way and replace the cpu fan before anything else. I have seen this exact situation 3 times and it was the fan.

Re: Intel p4's...

setishock said:
But back on topic.
jportz28
Did you look behind the motherboard to see if something may have fallen behind it? Something metal perhaps...

I haven't noticed something falling.. i'll have a second look later to be sure..

Pers right...

Come to think of it. If the MOBO is not getting a tach signal from the cpu fan it won't allow the system to fire up.

jportz28 said:
yes the led in the mother bord is on.. and i've already removed the hard drive and also the cdrom and floppy drive, it's still the same.... i think the thermal grease seems all dried out..
Or it could be that there is not enough, i have heard of this prob. before.If there is even the smallest contact between them it won't turn on but only for a sec. or two. I had the same prob. befor, and it turned out to be that the thermal grease was not evenly applied.

Back
Top Bottom