Power Supply Question

Vandiyan

In Runtime
A while back I bought a case that came with a 420W PSU. The 12V rail was not good enough to handle the Athlon 64's. So I bought an Aspire PSU that would be able to handle the 64. The only problem is (and not really sure if it will be a problem) that when I installed it into the case I had to turn it upside down. That is the only way that it would fit into the case? The fan on the PSU is now on the bottom instead of the top like it should be. There is a case fan that will be blowing on it right above the PSU also. Will this be a problem at all? I did not think it would be and have not been able to try the computer out yet as I still need to get a hard drive and memory. Thank you for your help.

Vandiyan said:
The 12V rail was not good enough to handle the Athlon 64's.

Where did you get that piece of information from?
and you haven't even fired it up yet. pretty amazing that a 420watt psu will not handle the 64

you can mount a psu in any possition that will fit. The issue being what possititon is the fans in. There must be enough clearance between the case and psu to allow the currect amount of air flow to be sucked into the psu for proper cooling. If the fan face is too close to the side it will cause overheating issues. The minimum distance for the properamount of air flow with a 60mm fan is about 3/8" from the panel with clear flow all around....an 80mm fan requires 9/16" clearance between the panel and fan with clear flow all around.
if the psu is mounted within those tolerances it would probably be ok but remember that you have restricted air flow from two directions so if it is too close it will probably overheat

it's alright that the fan is on the bottom of the power supply, I think thats where it's supposed to be anyway, to draw air up into the psu out of the case, also helps draw hot air out of your case via the 2 fans on the powerr supply. mine have always been on the bottom of the psu.

the screw holes...

The way the screw holes line up are your guide as to how it goes in. My psu has a bottom fan and a fan blowing out the back. Just line up the screw holes in the psu to the holes in the case. And the fan does go down as stated. Ain't much clearance between the top of the psu and the top of the case to get any air flow.

lurkswithin said:
Where did you get that piece of information from?
and you haven't even fired it up yet. pretty amazing that a 420watt psu will not handle the 64

The 12V rail only had about 18 amps which is not enough to handle the 64's acording to AMD's site. The minimum they state is 20 amps. The new PSU was only 50 bucks more so it was not really a big deal. Glad to see that everything is ok with the mounting though. Thank you everyone.

Back
Top Bottom