Bad Motherboard?

I'm starting to wonder if maybe my motherboard went bad. I currently have a D815EEA motherboard. My motherboard will reconize any hardware I put into it, but it has alot of error message whenever I try to boot anything. The hardware will power on and stay on, but it won't boot from my floppy drive, the hard drive, or CD-RW. I tried putting a Windows XP Professional CD into my CD-RW and change the BIOS to CD-RW to boot first and all I get is a boot failure system halted when I try to enter the setup in the Windows XP CD. Oh, by the way, the hard drive doesn't have windows currently installed, but read on to see what happens when I did put a windows installed hard drive. I decided to change my hard drive from my other computer that works fine and put it into my D815EEA motherboard and I got the following error:

*** STOP 0x0000007B
( 0XFC938640, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000 )

I then plugged the hard drive into the previous motherboard and it booted up correctly with no errors and I was able to run windows. I'm wondering if I just bought a brand new D815EEA motherboard if it would fix all these problems.

Thanks to whoever helps.

Hmmm...that stop error will be the cause of a memory module somewhere. How many sticks have you got installed on the motherboard?
If you have more than one, take one out and test, and vice versa until you find the culprit.

If you can borrow one if you only have one, this would be good :)
Make sure its compatable though, since I think it might be a faulty RAM stick somewhere.

It'd show why you keep getting errors, and for things not to work, since the RAM controls all data pooling like that, and would be why windows won't install either since it wouldn't be able to load drivers from the cd :p

I Hope this helps

Sorry in that case, worth a try hehe

Have you tried in that case flashing the bios?

If this failed, assume it is the motherboard causing the problem

I haven't tried to flash BIOS, but I can access them by pressing the DEL button. I don't have a win 98/95 boot disc nor could I even boot it because the PC won't let me. I'm guessing the motherboard is the culprit? What's your advice?

I don't mean flash, I mean to reset it...sorry, I said something wrong there...sorry.

You could either take the battery out for a few hours to reset it,
or if the motherboard has a cmos jumper header, to move this to position 3 on the jumper to reset it if its already one 1 or 1 if its on 3. This would be almost instant but should be left for a few minutes.
You'd then put the jumper back to the original position.

This is what one should look like if yours has one and can be in a few places, near the battery, or even near the bottom of the board:

http://www.infopackets.com/graphics/cmos+jumper.gif

http://www.ocprices.com/ben/NF7S/jumper.jpg

It should say it below the jumper anyway, 'CMOS Clearing Header' or 'CMOS'. Though it might not.

Hope this helps

As to putting the hdd from another machine with XP you can't do that as XP will not recognize the machine it was installed on.
Try unplugging the machine and remove the mobo battery for 1 minute to reset the bios and then try to boot from the cd or floppy.

hehe... I think it'd take more than 1 minute if you remove the battery, though maybe my inclanation of a few hours might have been a bit out ^... :p
Leave it a few minutes if you dont have a jumper, just to be sure

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103
which links you to this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/

This covers the causes that arises from switching harddrives from one pc to another and is what gave you the error to begin with......
What operating system are you using? 98(SE) ME?
If you are using xp(home or pro) Then you can not switch the hdd and expect it to boot. XP will not allow it.
More tham likely the hdd that you are currently having an issue with has lost its MasterBootRecord(MBR) and will not boot without major repair and since you are having issues even trying to boot with boot-up disc then I suspect that you have a bad drive. Either a complete failure or a lot of bad clusters on the first part of the disc.
You have already switched the drives around so see what the manufacturer is and go to their site and download the utillity/repair floppy.
enter the bios by booting and immediately toggling the 'DEL' key or whatever key your computer suggests and change boot sequence to "first Boot Device is Fdd" and then reboot with the repair disk installed and see what happens.
try a repair and chkdisc. post back with the verdict

Back
Top Bottom