sound problem

the0ctagon

Solid State Member
I am having serious problems with the sound on my laptop. After listening to no more than 5 minutes of music or watching a video, my sound wil stop working. It simply cuts out and every once in a while I hear a fuzzy distorted sound. Once my sound goes I have to restart my computer for it to work again. When the sound goes, other problems often arrise. My web browser may freeze momentarily or my mouse will freeze. I've noticed that this problem occurs more rapidly when I am using multiple programs at the same time (webbrowser + aim + windows media player for example). My computer is new. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this annoying problem?

Hmm, it could be the onboard sound on the laptop that could be the prolem here I'm afraid since it happens like clockwork every 5 mintues. I know for sure theres no button or setting that would make the sound do this.

Have you tried connecting headphones to it? I would guess you'd get the same thing though.

It could be the sound drivers though. Is there anyway you can figure out this? Go to Start, Control Panel, and go to Sounds and Audio Devices.

Go to the Hardware tab of this. What name of the sound card does it give in the top one there listed after the cd drive drivers?

If you can, search for these drivers on the internet, and download some new ones from the right site, most likley the manufacturers site after searching for the model, and then try re-installing the sound drivers after un-installing them using the Hardware tab of that window you had up. Just select that driver with your soundcard on it, and go to Uninstall driver, after opening up properties.

Then restart, it should then see the sound card when windows boots up as having no drivers yet, you'd then simply ask it to browse and select the drivers you have just downloaded to a location, unless its an EXE, in which case it would do it automatically after uninstalling the drivers

Or you could post back with the name and we could search for it if your unsure :)

If this didn't help, we'd know its the onboard sound itself, but in a way, it seems too like clockwork and would suggest a driver issue.

Hope I can help

I found out that I have an SoundMax integrated digital audio card. I went to their website and it directed me toward IBM's website (where I bought my laptop). I finally end up at this here site. Could you help me with what I should do from here. Should I unistall my current driver or should I update it the way they tell me to.

Yep, you'd download this from that site you linked me to:

1ga239ww.exe

and then run the EXE file. It might be an unzipper, in which case you'd have to choose somewhere, and then run it from there.

It'd then go over the drivers, though it'd be best to uninstall the driver first:

Go to Start, Control Panel, and go to Sounds and Audio Devices.
Go to the Hardware tab and uninstall the driver for the sound card.

Then I'd run the EXE file :)

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom