Help buying an internet connection

Mitesh

BSOD
I would like to get the internet but I am not sure which one to go for. I will be using it mainly for video and audio chat as well as viewing complex websites with alot of pictures and some videos, and also downloading clips and pictures.

I thought 512Kb/s will be ideal as my friend has this, and it is adequate for these purposes.However his is AOL and it costs £17.99 a month (it is unlimited 512). There is no setup fee and a free modem and microfilters are included (offer until 30th June 2005), however there is a minimum contract of 12 months.

It sounds good if slightly expensive, however I would like to share this connection between two computers, and I have been told by a friend that AOL requires specific AOL hardware, so I would have to buy a router from AOL.
Is this true?
Also does anyone know the ratio for example 50 people to 1 connection or so?

I found a cheaper conection called adsl4less, which is 512kb/s unlimited, for £14.99 a month, however there is an intial startup fee of £58.75 (why not just round this up to £60????) but there is no minimum contract, and in the long term this works out cheaper. However there may be a catch such as a fair usage policy, I cant seem to find it can anyone help? Link:http://www.adsl4less.com/cheapest-broadband.htm (LOOK AT THE NO LIMITS TABLE)

Which of the above would someone recommend?
Any other ISP providers anyone can recommmend?
It would be helpful if the repliers were of UK residents (I live in Britian) as this would ensure correct ISP providers.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't go for AOL.

I'm with NTL and they are not bad, though some people are against them. I've been with them for 3 years and haven't really had a problem. Only a few times where the internet connection has cut out and I've needed to reset the box downstairs, but I'm running from digital too, so it runs though there.

In a few weeks, were being updated to a 2mb broadband; were at 600k at the moment :p and this doesn't cost anything more! Were paying about £20 something pound though, but it an unlimited, uncapped service, and soon will be more worth it after this upgrade.

At the moment strangely though, were getting about 90kbs speed while downloading, so might even be higher than 600k. There just being pushed up... I like it though, not complaining :D

Tiscali seems good too, though if you look at the small print in the advert, I'm sure it says something about a capped service. Its fine though for most peoples uses since many people don't download much.
But for people that like to download stuff, like stream off websites, this is eaten up rather quickly, and is best not have to think all the time, like old modems used to do to you...

Yup i'm ont he same 1 as 99nasha said. 512k for £15.99.
Dont touch AOL = the only thing they're good at is the advertising...they're convincing you into gettin something that u dont really want

Back
Top Bottom