dead PC, need inputs

jportz28

Baseband Member
hi, im having problems troubleshooting a friend's PC. I've got a dead system, when i turn on the PC the system will only turn on for a second, the processor fan turns and stop, then the whole system goes dead. I already cleaned all the dusts out since the inside was covered with dusts when i got. i've dismantled all the parts and put them all back together but the still the same. Now, i'm wondering whether the Mobo is broken or is it the processor? by the way, i got no beeps everytime i tried to boot it.. im a little bit confused, please help.......

the system has

intel P4 2.4 GHz
Asus P4VP-MX Mobo(on board Video and Audio)
300W PS

Hmm, the only thing I can think of if its just been made is that the cables connecting the power supply isn't in properly, or some wires are shorted or in the wrong places for power indicators and hard drive indicators, etc on the motherboard. These would all cause it not to power up correctly, or not at all

So first of all check those.

If those don't work (Like my old 233mhz PC) then it is more likley to be the motherboard not powering up, and so would be a fault of that

I hope this helps

I've already check all the wires also, it seems good to me... and change the PS cable with mine still the same.. maybe the problem is in the board.. anyway, thanks..

It could also be the power supply though, now I tihnk about it, since it might just be sending some electricity left from the capacitors each time they charge up.

Is there any way you can test this? Just let your mate borrow yours if its possible. You might find this to be the issue :D

If this doesn't work, then i'm afraid all that I could conclude is that you have got a faulty motherboard :( but hopefully the step above will work!

If there is a light on the motherboard, check to see if it is on before you turn on the power. If it is, then there isn't a problem with the power supply but it could still be the motherboard. Sounds like something is causing the system to short out and shut off. I had this problem once before and it turned out that the hard drive was fried and it caused the system to short everytime you started it. So it would come on for a split sec and the fans would kick and then go dead. Check your hard drive on the machine. Just take it out and try to turn it on. If this doesn't solve the issue then it probably is the mobo.

you said that you took it apart and cleaned it from all the dust. Did you remove the heatsink from the cpu?
Check to see if the heatsink is loose from the cpu and replace the thermal grease...just a dab will do you, so don't go overboard.
With a dusty pc the dust will dry out the thermal paste and cause it to overheat and shut down.

Hopefully the power supply will make it work :) Post when you've tested

yes the led in the mother bord is on.. and i've already removed the hard drive and also the cdrom and floppy drive, it's still the same.... i think the thermal grease seems all dried out..

Back
Top Bottom