Windows XP - sound card

sunts

Baseband Member
I have just formatted my whole c drive and reinstalled Windows XP. Ever since, I have lost use of my speakers. Th sound card isnt detected in the sound and audio settings. People have told me to download a driver for the motherboard and sound card. HELP!!!

Yeah, your going to need to download those drivers to get it working again. Dont worry about it, it's nothing serious :) Ive done exactley the same. You need to find what the card is. Whats your computer?

Yeah, dont worry, 99nasha is right. All we need is the sound card name and we can find drivers for you :)

install this free utillity and it will detect what sound card that you have installed.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

when you find it out then you can log onto and register
http://www.driversguide.com
and search the site for the match to your drivers and operating system and then download(free/safe)to desktop and unzip them and should auto install as most drivers from there are self installing which makes it nice sometimes.

sunts said:
I have just formatted my whole c drive and reinstalled Windows XP. Ever since, I have lost use of my speakers. Th sound card isnt detected in the sound and audio settings. People have told me to download a driver for the motherboard and sound card. HELP!!!
If you have onboard sound, the driver will be on the mothernboard driver cd.

It does help if you post the make of your computer (HP, Dell, Gateway etc.) or if it's custom built. The operating system (XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95) helps as well, as the drivers are different.

I'm off to polish up my crystal ball... :p

Its the first time ive used this forum, fantastic i say!!!

The sound card is SiS 7012 Audio Decive, running Win XP. Ive been to the website and downloaded the driver, but an error message of UpdatDriversForPlugAndPlayDevices comes up, with the number 53687... its the set up application file im trying to open/ run.

Am i going about it the right way??? Or should i be going through settings or somthing??

You went here I take it, and got the correct driver...

http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php

Did you run the file after you unzipped it?

This is what it says in the readme file

SiS 7012 PCI Audio Driver Setup Readme File
-------------------------------------------

To install Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/Win2000/WinXP drivers, please run SETUP.EXE in this directory;

To uninstall Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/Win2000/WinXP drivers, please run Control_Panel-> Add/Remove_Program->SiS Audio Driver

To install drivers for other O.S, please see README file under each
driver directory.

SETUP.EXE Automatically installs WDM or VxD driver for Windows 95/98 base on
the O.S version:
-WDM driver is installed for Windows 98SE and
-VxD is installed for Windows 98OEM (first edition, 4.10.1998) and
Windows 95.

To force installing VxD driver for Windows 98SE, please run
"SETUP.EXE -vxd" using Windows Start->Run

To update the driver, just run SETUP.EXE directly. SETUP will overwrite
the old driver with the current one.

Back