dual screens

Kage

Golden Master
Hey,

This morning I decided to carry out a little experiment with a second monitor I got given (15') compared with my one now (17'). I'm going to use it on my older PC when I get the second one set up in this room again. So I decided to connect both to the same PC.

I have two ports at the back of my Radeon 9800 PRO. One for VGA, and one for DVI. I do have a DVI to VGA switcher though so put this into the DVI slot.

Now I connected both up and both appeared on the screen. Windows then properly came on and the second one went off. I went into the display options then and switched on the second one in monitors. I now had two desktops exactly the same.

I then tried to activate the dual screen option by having both side by side, yet when I click this button on one monitor, the other switches it off, so this means all I get is two monitors displaying exactly the same thing... is this my video card not supporting it? Because I'm using two seperate ports? The reason I ask is because the other one does display it, and I have it set to the same refresh rate and resolution too :(

I'm using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers by the way

Hope you can help :)

:( After all the help you have given me on different issues, I wish I could help you here. I have never set up two displays before, but I know you should be able to do what you are attempting. And I know it works pretty much how you are doing it.

One of my friends at work has duelys set up and doesnt not see the same screen on both. We use AutoCAD and he keeps al his tool bars on the second screen. I also know that he only has the one Vid Card with 2 slots.

One thing that I can think of is maybe the second had to be a digital monitor. That is just a suggestion though.

Yeah thanks anyway Methost :)

I don't think they would both have to be digital since I'm using a DVI port for the second port, but using a DVI to VGA switcher, since VGA is sent through DVI ports too.

Its just weird that as soon as I hit the button with two screens on one display, and try to press it on the next, the other switches to the one screen button which displays both the same... It confusing...I mean the Radeon 9800 Pro should be able to right?

It was just an experiment I was trying, but I'd like to see the effect :) Its the way I learn.. caused a load of problems..my..experimenting hehe.

Hope someone can help

hey I've got two monitors set up so i might be able to help you out here, what are you actualy attemtping to do? have one monitor with you desktop a snormal and then one with no desktop just extra space to drag windows on?

Yeah thats the thing :) I just expected the desktop to split and things like that, yeah,
but the options to do this keep blanking out like I said and switching back on one, so all I get is a useless double :p I mean I can do that with my eyes... hehe...I don't need another monitor to do it for me...

Could both also join to make one desktop too? So the left hand side is in one, and the right in another? Just another thought.

EXTRA NOTE BUT NOT IMPORTANT YET:

When I have this set up I wouldn't mind to have one viewing the desktop while one plays games, etc so I know whats going on, but that doesn't matter for the moment, and i don't think you could control the desktop too anyway, could you?...

EXPLANATION OF THE DISPLAY PROPTERIES I MEAN:

I have tried to find an image of the monitor tab i'm talking about in the display properties but can't :(

Its where it has a 4 way configuration, with two monitors at the top, and a tv at the bottom left, and some other screen on the bottom right. On the left of the two monitors is a on switch which switches the monitor off and on from view, and underneath that are two buttons for each monitor.

One button has one screen showing, and the other has two screens in on. This is what I've tried to switch for both monitors to no avail, since it just switches back like its not capable of doing it.

Can you help? :)

I dont think you can have one monitor game and the other desktop (mainly cause game changes the resolution fo the screen) but even if you set the game to the same res then you couldnt move the mouse accross anyway. you can still see windows on the other monitor though, i used to have the program that monitors temps etc open on the other monitor when i was gaming.
Im not sure if i can help you. my nvidia card has fantastic options for dual monitors. you just select dualview, clone, vertical span, horizontal span, etc! try google and your cards manufacturer web site for help! sorry!

okay, right click the desktop, go to properties and then click the settings tab, go down and click the advanced button. now see if you have a tab that is for your video adapter and if you do, you should be able to set some more advanced settings. I have that tab that is for my vid card (geforce 4 mx 440) and I can set all kinds of options relating to dual monitors and such. give it a try and see if this works for you. hope it does

I have that set up right now Kage. I have all my icons and stuff on my CRT and then i drag w/e i'm working on onto my LCD. I have no clue why this is happening to you. I never has problems with it so I can't really help you out.

hmmmm....maybe the resolution for the monitor is too high?? and that's why it keeps going blank on you.
Shoot, I really have no clue, I'll think about it...sry Kage

oh yea, the Nvidea is amazing for this crap, soo simple :p

and...about the gaming thing. I have mine that the game opens up on my CRT and you can still see the other screen but once you click on it the game minimizes. And also the resolution keeps changing. It could be good if your awaiting a message from someone on msn or sumthing. But it's hard to do something else while having the game open

Yeah hehe, thx for the help anyways.

Yeah, Ill go with Nividia next time anyway, but for now, I'm stuck with ATI.
It does seem easier with Nvidia, but the advanced tab doesn't work like that with ATI cards, it just opens up in another window with loads and loadsof tabs, like 'Monitor' which is what I'm stuck on...

It doesn't go blank on me by the way, it just does if i switch that one monitor off using the button, the fact that it doesn't allow me to switch both monitors to dual screen is the problem.
It'll set one, but the other...nope!

Oh well... I'll root around. If I can get hold of a picture of the window, i'll post that.

Thanks again

hmm..maybe you should try reinstalling the drivers and software for your card....maybe something is screwed up. i have a friend that has a 9600xt and thats where he said the advanced options are ....right click the desktop, properties, settings, advanced....thats strange that yours is screwey

Back
Top Bottom