computer problem

spazing donkey

Solid State Member
hi
my computer has been acting rather strangely . i run windows XP and when i start up to the log in screen, the screen just stays black but i can see the cursor.

i can still log in to my account by clicking on the area where the cursor becomes a hand on the black screen, but the screen stays black when in my account after logging in, and i can still see the cursor.

does anyone know what the problem is and how i can solve this?

thank you

My first thought would be graphics drivers. Boot into safe mode(pressing f5 while your comp boots) and choose safe mode. Uninstall the drivers... Hopfully you could boot into regular mode without the drivers(letting windows use standard drivers) and then jump online to find new ones...

What would help us a bit...did you recently upgrade your video drivers, hardware, or anything like that?

ok,
i restarted the computer several times and finally it started normally.
but its not the first time this has happened and it will probably happen again.

i'm using an ATI 9500 and i installed the ATI omega drivers with a 9800SE soft mod awhile back. after the problem started i reinstalled the drivers to the 9500/9700 softmod version. however the problem still persists.

thank you

start>control panel>admin tools>event viewer
when the screen comes up there will be three items on the left side click on each one of those and post back with any error for the TIME that the screen gave you an issue. Do this for all three items showing,

Application:
warning:
The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

error:
Windows saved user SN2018177000\xxxxx registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

security: none

System:
warning:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 0020ED355BCD. The IP address being used is 169.254.167.254.

i'm not quite sure what time exactly the problem occured but those are the warnings and errors that appeared around that time.

If that doesn't work for you then do this. shut your system down and actually unplug it from the power source for a few minutes. It would be better to reset the cmos but you need to know where the jumper is on your mob. or you can shut it down and remove the power and pull out the cmos battery for about 10 minutes to reset the cmos settings in your bios. you will have to reset your time and stuff in the bios afterwards.
But what happens is that sometimes the power options in windows xp gets fouled up and needs to be reset.

thanks,
so i installed the program and rebooted and the screen went blank again. :(

the screen stays black after logging in until windows xp finished loading or whatever thats called (until you can start using) then the normal screen shows up again.

also, windows takes longer than usual to shut down, it stays on the same screen as if nothing has happened but eventually shuts down. might this be related?
thanks

edit: ok i'll try the unplugging thing now.

your welcome.
By the way you can go ahead and remove that uphclean prog from add/remove if you think it has slowed your shutdown time. You may have some tweak conflicting and causeing it to slow you down.

Back
Top Bottom