Dvd/cd Burner Installation

hassy501

Solid State Member
I replaced my DVD/CD unit with a new one, exactly as how i removed it, cable for cable.
It does not work when i turn on the computer. The unit does work when i just attach the power cord to the computer without any other cables, so I know the unit is not dead. I called my pc store and they said i had to do something besides just install the unit to get it to work. I cant remember what it was. On "my computer" the CD icon doesnt show up like it used to.
Do I have to install some software or go into some sort of files or something to get it to work ? My pc guy mentioned some big word that i had to do..............go into something.............

Can anyone assist me with installation ?

Thanks.

George

Try this.
Create a Restore point and back up the registry.Open regedit.
Look for;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\SetControlClass.
Key name: {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Value Data:[Delete all value data from upper and lower filters]
Note-Do not delete the key or the multi-string values. Delete only the data values.
Exit regedit and reboot.

unplug everything and start agian i aam assuming it is a master drive is it the only drive you have in the pc if so it is the master.
check the jumpers on the back of the drive and it should be set to master it tells you this on the top of your drive master slave cable selest make sure the jumper is set to master. reinstall the drive only two cable 1 power 2 ide cable. of no joy have a look in your bios see if it is recognised in there at boot press del every half a sec until it goes to bios see if it says cd rom dvd rom etc .come back let us know well all help best we can

You said you plugged in the power, but did you plug the cable from the motherboard to the dvd drive or the molex connector into the DVD drive? (I'm pretty sure it's called a molex, but it's the cable sticking out of the power supply that has 4 holes in it and is red, yellow, and black) You might need to install drivers?

I suggest smashing the thing to pieces and then returning it to the store. lol... not really, but I'm guessing you're wanting to do that.

DVD/CD drive

Ok folks, thanks for the help, but no cigar yet !

I emailed microsoft with the same question and im awaiting their answer.........hahah ...if ever.....

Ok, when i installed the new dvd drive, i installed the power cable and the multi pin connector...the one with like a million pins..(J/K).....those were the only two connectors i connected as they were the same ones i unplugged when i removed the old unit.

My son took my old unit, hooked it up to his computer and it worked flawlessly.....but on my computer it was hit and miss and that is why i replaced it.

Now, i have put the old unit back into the tower and their is still no DVD drive icon on "my computer"........

I think its something in the bios which is way beyond my intelligence level.

Ill keep trying to figure it out.

George.

Ok, i went into the bios and did not see any reference to a a cd/dvd drive at all...nada, nothing, zilch.....arrrggghhhhh..as charlie brown would say.............George.

ok, George.
Let us see if we can get you going here.
First thing first.
I need to know what other drives you have on that cable with the 40 pin connector.
And then I need to know where the new drive plugs into (end or middle connector)

cd drives don't have a cable select option on them do they?
if he said he connected the drive exactly as he disconnected the old one, it should be right. right click "my computer", go to "manage" and then go to "disk management" and see if it shows up at the bottom (you might have to scroll), you might just have to give it a letter, who knows

I do not have any other drives on my computer....its very basic.

End or middle connector ?? The 40 pin connector that plugs into it is an end connector.
The new unit also came with an audio cable which i did not install as the old unit did not have one installed on it.........does that make a difference ?

George.

Back
Top Bottom