Dual Channel question

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
You know how you can have 2 sticks of memory and place them into modules accordingly to make them dual channel? What if you were to put 2 more sticks in the other 2 modules? Would that be like running double dual channel or quad channel or something like that? I have 1GB or 2x512MB at the moment but like to get it up to 2GB just for the hell of it. Would that disrupt my dual channel flow?

It would disrupt it and take off the dual channel option, yeah, since dual channel only works with 2 sticks of ram in the same 2 modules.

If you want to buy the other sticks though, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in speed if dual channel was enabled anyway, so you'd be gettnig much better RAM performance :)

Hope this helps

So even with 4 identical sticks it wouldn't work? Darn, I had no idea :-/ Guess I won't be updating myself either ;P

No I don't think it would since it is meant for two sticks

Though honestly with 2 gigs of RAM in 4 slots, I don't think you'd notice much difference if Dual Channel could have still been enabled. Though it wouldn't since it'd then have a problem since the RAM on two channels would be running faster than the stuff in the other two slots, and so it'd slow them all down to that speed, deleting the dual channel option

The RAM will have so much bandwidth since with 4 sticks, the bandwidth is being split more over all 4 so that more work can be done in the same amount of time, because the other 2 sticks could work if the other two were already doing something to speed things up.

Dual Channel was just making the bandwidth faster for when there was two RAM chips with large memory where they could of helped with larger bandwidths and thats why it was introduced, since it was a better option than for instance getting a 1gb ram stick with lower bandwidths, when you could split this into two to make it higher and so faster :)

Hope this helps

In my board's manual it lists the four combo's for dual channel to operate, they are:
slots 1+2
slots 3+4
slots 1+2+3+4

so I assume my one supports dual channel over 4 slots. check your boards website

Hmmm..... I didn't think it good, because it is named dual channel for a reason...
In this case, they would all have to be dual channel dimms which they can't be since on motherboards it doesn't allow you to place one in 1 and one in 4 for example for it to work...

Yeah, i'd check your manual...I'm confused now. I really don't think thats right...

well...it is possible to have two channels for 2 gigs of ram in four slots. I have dual channel in 3 slots for all i care.

actually, some boards are set up to use 2 sets of dual channel dimm. On your board it is usually 4 slots with 2 slots one color and the other 2 slots a different color. This will allow you to use 2 sets of dual ram. If the slots are all the same color then you may have dual capabilities but only with the first 2 slots and if you use the 3rd &/or fourth slot it will revert back to single channel. The dual channel works in pairs and the same colored slots designates the pairs.
Mobo specs will spell it out for you. If it reads dual in slots 1,2, and 3,4 then those are the pairs.
It doesn't quadruple as you might think but only adds to the amount of the first pair of dual channel. While this adds to the total amount of ram it is negligible whether or not you would ever be able to tell the difference.

On my motherboard, only 2 of the slots are designated as dual channel slots. The manual didn't say anything about using the other two slots for dual channel. I didn't realize that other motherboards allow dual channel over all 4 slots. Hmmm. Well, if mine is limited to just the two slots, I could always use the 2x1GB configuration. So if I added more memory sticks to my existing config., dual channel may be disabled then? If so, it's really confusing as to why they introduce dual channel when you can't even use the other two memory slots on the motherboard. Like Kage was saying, perhaps two sticks in dual channel is already efficient when comparing to using all 4 single channel slots.

Unless you have some kind of equipment to register the accuracy of the ram speeds (and truely need it) I think it is mostly just a lot of hype for sales.
I have said this once and will say it again for those that doen't really get it.
All programs are designed for use of a certain amount of ram usage. The program(games or what have you) will not allow the use of more than what is needed as any amount is released when it maxes out. The only programs I know of that allow open ram amounts are college and industry research labs(militay apps.) stuff of that nature.
So all this extra ram that you guys wish to brag about is really only for that purpose because you are not and doubtful as to ever. will you use it. Testing will max you out to usage but nothing else will.

Back
Top Bottom