device hardware update problem

cbachinger

In Runtime
Hi! im facing a problem

Another friend of mine has her multimedia and video controller devices with an exclamation mark in the device manager.

Ive tried using her recovery cds, but the devices just wont (or cant seem to) read the cds and reinstall the drivers for the devices.

And Windows Update (i assume with the school server firewall) doesnt seem to help either.

What else can i do?
I have already gone into properties for the update option; thats what i did before.

Do you think formatting and reinstalling windows MAY help? I hope to avoid it.

I also tried uninstalling the devices and restarting the comp, so it could hopefully undo a possible bug; so far no.

try uninstalling the devices then run start-run-type SFC /SCANNOW. Note space between C and /. You will need XP cd. Then reboot.

If that doesn't work try this.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

Ive tried what u suggested, but the application and driver cds still wont work.

What else could be preventing this process or solving it?

It was an interesting approach though; what does that run command actually do? Verify windows critical files?

It verifies and checks for corrupt or missing system files and replaces them. You don't say what machine or xp you are using or what the devices are that won't load. If they are onboard [ mobo] devices check the bios to be sure they are enabled. or if they are agp or pci devices be sure the onboard devices are disabled.

im sorry. it is a toshiba satellite M30 series

And it is the multimedia and video controllers that are experiencing the problem.

while the recovery concole was registering the components, an error message saying that c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\inetcomm.dll was either not installed or is corrupted; wat happened and how can i correct this? .dll files are major files

I am not familiar with the Toshiba. If the sfc /scannow doesn't work Try contacting Toshiba support.

Back
Top Bottom