Setting Up Master and Slave HardDisk

dee-u

Solid State Member
I have bought a new harddisk(30gb) and I have formatted it successfully to win2000, my old harddisk is 3.something and OS is win98, I removed the old harddisk when I formatted the new harddisk, but when I tried to set up a master (new harddisk) and slave (old harddisk) the new harddisk was burnt, I think some chips of it, I have setup the jumpers correctly, could anybody tell me what I did wrong? PLEASE?

By the way, my computer is celeron 366.

Are your trying to set up a duel boot with Win2000 and Win98 ? if thats the case i would put the OS's on the same hard drive and use the other as storage.

If your hard drive burnt buy another because its not going to work now.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Just windows 2000 if possible, I know nothing about dual boot, I just want to utilize my two harddisk, maybe to use the smaller size as a back-up location for my files.....

What may have happened why the harddisk was burnt? I'm afraid if I'll buy another one it would just be burnt too. Does it have something to do with the power supply, the IDE cord, just the poor quality of the harddisk or something else? An expert advice would be highly appreciated....

sorry i spell dual wrong :(

If your hard blow it may just be faulty don't worry about buying a new hard drive it will work fine ... if it will make sure feel safer buy a new IDE cable but IDE cables don not power the hard drive should be no problems.

If your PSU (power supply) is getting old you may want to think about replacing it, how old is your PSU now?

dee-u said:
I have bought a new harddisk(30gb) and I have formatted it successfully to win2000, my old harddisk is 3.something and OS is win98, I removed the old harddisk when I formatted the new harddisk, but when I tried to set up a master (new harddisk) and slave (old harddisk) the new harddisk was burnt, I think some chips of it, I have setup the jumpers correctly, could anybody tell me what I did wrong? PLEASE?

By the way, my computer is celeron 366.

There are several things that can cause a HDD to commit suicide, some of which are:

hard drives just grow old and die. It's inescapable.

Power failures and power spikes:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most of the time, your hard drive survives these with flying colors, other times?

Viruses:
~~~~~
can make your hard drive unreadable, or they can corrupt the data so it is unusable. Installing good virus protection is a must but isn?t a guaranteed solution against viruses.

Physical damage:
~~~~~~~~~~~
If you drop a hard drive (or the computer it is installed in) you can render the hard drive inoperable. Sometimes just sliding the system across the desk while the system is on can cause severe hard drive problems.

Defects in the hard drive:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
as with anything, hardware failures happen.

information obtained from: http://tools.supportforyourpc.com/get_article.asp?aid=793

If the chips in the harddisk was burnt, will it mean the data in the harddisk is also lost?

dee-u said:
If the chips in the harddisk was burnt, will it mean the data in the harddisk is also lost?

Damage to the electrical circuitry in 90% of situations doesnt affect the actual the data stored in the Hard disk. The electronics of the HDD in general just controls the speed of the cyclinder and controls the Read and Write heads.

Some technicians can replace the electronic circuitry of the Hard Disk and revive it, but depending on what country you are in, most technicians including myself take the lazy approach and just bin the hard disk and tell the customer to replace it.

Arent there any software that could do such task without replacing the electronic circuitry? Perhaps making that defective harddisk as a slave?

dee-u said:
Arent there any software that could do such task without replacing the electronic circuitry? Perhaps making that defective harddisk as a slave?

The Hard Disk is comprised of 2 "main" sections. The Mechanical side and electronic side. If the electronics stops then so does the Mechanical. No software will cure the hard disk because the electronics of the Hard Disk cant communicate with the software to start off with.

Its a bit like us humans, once our hearts stop for good, so do WE as a whole..... There is no cure for death.

My harddisk is Quantum 30gb, is it possible to replace those circuitry from chips of other harddisk brands? Or do I have to look for chips from the same Quantum 30gb? Or can I take the chips of a 8gb Quantum?

Back
Top Bottom