Stupid but interesting question

Assassin_666 said:
ok i have some knowledge in of this sorta stuff and the brain.

kage and david pretty much summed it up. its the brain defraging pretty much after it is crammed with information throughout the day.
as for the brain needing a rest... that isnt necessarily true, its all linked to circadian rhythms (sleep patterns-im reading a book on this at the moment) and basically the body has to follow a set pattern. this is pretty much influenced by outside stimuli like day and night, hot and cold(day and night temps) and so on. when the body naturally rests then yes the brain defrags the current short term memory storage and puts it into the long term storage.

this storage is in neuron clusters from what i understand. basically if u get stimuli from anything, say that u have no other feelings and then u get sight: everything is black but u can now see a white light. then ur neuron clusters will start firing as each one relays information about what u know of this stimuli: its bright, hurts ur eyes, what ever.

so basically when ur dreaming its the random firing of single or groups of neurons that have stored throughout the day, different information u have received from stimuli: sounds, sights, smells, all that stuff.

and yes, the focus of this book where i got all this information, was on Lucid Dreaming!!!

bascally it happens when ur close to waking up with the bodies natural cycles. sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt, it depends on how u have slept pretty much i think.

neway, as u wake up, ur conciousness will come to the fore of your processes, your awareness come out. now ur aware that ur dreaming but u can also control ur thoughts to a degree. at this point you are not aware of the outside world yet. this usually doesnt last long though, as when u dream it hapens slowly, so it may be only a minute or so in ur dream where u can control what happens, but in reality its about half an hour or so.

ill go on about lucid dreaming later though and continue with the other questions.

as for the falling feeling, i have no actual evidence to back this up, but from what i gather, it is rather close to your soul departing your body.

basically its when u become so involved in a dream that ur body forgets to breathe.

the result is that after a period of time, your natural instinctual reflexes automatically make u move to try to escape the threat of not being able to breathe, like a predator attacking your throat and u cant breathe, the body doesnt realise that it is itself the cause. there fore the heart beats faster and your all tingly and so on, the oxygen is pumping aroundur body again and the body has also gone into fight or flight mode and adrenaline has been released into your body for the need to do either. yet when you wake up, nothing needs to be done and you lay there breathing heavier than normal with a hammering pulse and tingly feeling all over.

now the alternative 'mystical' explanation is that yes your soul is being taken out, but that at the time of the jump, youre dreaming of your death and are comming close to dying. like falling off a cliff, just before you hit the ground then u wake up.

the word is that if u ever actually hit the ground then u do die. its when people die in their sleep supposedly.

now, about the lucid dreaming i was talking about before:

the book that i got all the information about the brain and lucid dreaming is called 'Caverns of Socrates" by Denis L. Mackeirnan.

it is a sci-fi/fantasy book yes. but it was done with a LOT of actual research. just reading the back few pages with his credits and so on will show just how extensive his research was.

neway, basically this book was about a super computer AI that had been created. it knew all about the human brain and how it functioned, how it was all mapped out etc, from what had been put in to it. neway, basically they induced a stake of sleep on the test subjects that didnt put them totally to sleep, but into a state of lucid dreaming.

there they partook in a test gaming experience like no other. it was real. they actually WERE the characters. there was no outside world like a computer game, where u can look away from the screen. it was the TOTAL gaming experience!!!

but there were interesting questions raised.

one is that in that reality they were in, where they knew no other reality, a place over the hill that they had just left but could no longer see: did it still exist? or was it stored in the computers memory ready to be retrieved if they turned around and came back???

the second one is related to the dying in ur dreams, and that is, what happens if they die in there? do they die out here???

hahaha, hows that essay for u all!!!!!

just a little something for u all to think on!
Assassin_666

I have to disagree with one point you made, the brain DOES need rest...hense our sleep. It's not technically resting, but it needs time to "defrag" the info it has taken in for the day. You dont have to believe me, but being that my friend did a 20 page thesis on this subject for his college degree im going to have to trust him on this one.

lol
yeah, I had a lucid dream once, they're great. I always get deja vu, I had it today in fact, its really wierd, has anyone had deja vu of the same thing twice? Its really really strange.
Interesting fact:
We actually know more about the surface of the moon than we know of out own brain
Interesting philosophical idea:
We all assume that if our minds were simpler, we would be able to understand them better... Wrong, if our minds were simpler, so would our thoughts and we would be more stupid therefore we still wouldn't be able to understand them
As for the interesting fact that we only use 10% of our brain power, someone told me that if we used 100%, we would be pre-cognative ie. We would be able to see into the future.
What nightmares does everyone else have, I dont actually dream of monsters etc. etc. I have this wierd sensation when im nearly asleep and if I am asleep I have images to go with it. It is that everything is much much thinner then it really is, for example my fingers feel like small twigs, its actually quite scary, does that happen to anyone else? It may not sound so bad but trust me, I sometimes get very scared as there is nothing I can toutch or hold that will dissipate this feeling and it happens whatever I touch.
thats all a bit random!!!
I have sooooo many random dreams as well:
I once had this dream that we had a small pet monkey that for some reason really hated me, whenever my parents left the house it would grow into a big massive monkey and get some machetes from somewhere (covered in blood stains of course) and it tried to kill me, very scary that my mind could come up with that. I was actually frightened, not by the machete wielding monkeys but by the fact my brain could come up with something so goddam random.

lol whats that program by that guy with the pathetic attempt at an afro, ermm, hes a bit geeky but he did an excellent tv series on the brain, very good, I also read, bulging brains in the Horrible Sciences series, actually quite good

i apologise Shouup. i didnt recall putting that in.

yes the brain needs its rest time but i dont think that it actually shuts down... that happens when we die.

it goes inot a kinda limbo to defrag itself like was said by david yes.

as for the De javu i have no idea about that... maybe its just a glitch in the matrix!!! wow! de javu... ive heard that somewhere before!!!! hahaha... aaahhhh gawd, i crack myself up!!!

As for the interesting fact that we only use 10% of our brain power, someone told me that if we used 100%, we would be pre-cognative ie. We would be able to see into the future.

well im not sure about seeing into the future. like some1 mentioned before, that would mean that our destinies and all that jazz have already been predetermined, our actions already made. that seems stupid. what point do we serve by being here if its alreasy???

no i think that we will become a lot more acutely aware than we are now if we were to increase our brains capacities to 100%. the extra acuteness of our senses and faster calculations etc will allow us to make FAR more accurate predictions of the future because the tools we have at the time will be much better, but i dont think that seeing what will happen is so much the case.

oh and my nightmares.... lets just say that i have a recurring dream that i go and say hi to Satan and leave it at that shall we? better u dont know the details.

Hehe. I think I'm the one that said about our future already been set and how stupid it would be. Impossible really... but then again...is it? I mean the future must be coming from somewhere for things to happen, like for the sun to appear in the sky every day. This is a future event, though we know its going to happen tommrow. Get me?

Anyway, as for the brain capacity to 100% thing. We do use 100% of our brains (if not, some for memory) because each bit is for a different thing, like emotion, thought, controlling you left, right hand side, speech, etc,
but only 10% of it is used in accordance with each other, at the same time :)

i once watched a pbs show about a lady who had only half a brain. she was quite functional and had the ability to compute dates. so i suppose if someone with only half a brain could do that much, and me being a slacker, most of my brain is idle like my processor.

I always talk my brain as a computer, it has ram, hard drive, intel p4 extreme with h/T and it goes like a rocket. My food is the PSU 4000Watt!! Also the case is my skull and skin. LOL

Steven11 said:
I always talk my brain as a computer, it has ram, hard drive, intel p4 extreme with h/T and it goes like a rocket. My food is the PSU 4000Watt!! Also the case is my skull and skin. LOL

and you run on artificial intelligence :p

Back
Top Bottom