$1300 Build Advice

Richard1

Beta member
After researching a new system I still feel ignorant. Please advise me. I will be editing photos, running engineering applications, and playing games that my PC cannot handle now.

I've researched components, and may be misguided, but thought I settled on a good mix as follows (not including assorted less-critical parts):

Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready)
(939-pin) AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ CPU
(Sckt939) MSI MSI-K8N NEO4 Platinum/SLI nForce4 SLI Chipset
(512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Corsair Value RAM
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM Serial ATA 150 8MB
NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT 128MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
NEC 3520A 16X DVD+-RW DRIVE

Is everything compatible?

I was shooting for bang-for-buck in my budget. Does everything seem a good balance for this price target (about $950 for these parts, $1300 system total), or did I splurge too much in some areas and lowball others?

Anyone have substitutes they'd advise for anything?

I didn't add any extra cooling. What do you advise?

I know cases are a matter of taste, but I'd like thoughts on a stout, secure case with good cooling.

Seems a lot of system sellers package a 16x DVD ROM with the burner. Must be a reason. What are the benefits in having this in addition?

THANKS!!

Do you have a case already..?
If not I don't see one added..
If you do, make sure it is the case type supported by the hardware.. (Ussually ATX is common)

I'd reccomend getting a case and if it doesn't have enough fans, then get enough fans to ensure you don't burn anything out.

I would consider upping the CPU to a 3500+. I think you get the most bang for your buck there.

Everything else looks pretty good. What kind of games are you playing?

When you start buying these items, use pricegrabber.com to find the vendor with the best prices. Though sometimes it better to pay a bit more and use a vendor with a higher rating.

Back
Top Bottom