Playstation 3 Unveiled!

"The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards, which would cost roughly $1,000 total if purchased today."

That is freaking amazing.

What I really wanna know now is how much this will cost. It can't cost THAT much cuz then I don't think the sales would be too great, but I'd imagine it would be somewhere around 400 at least with all the stuff it's gonna have.

"The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2GHz, giving the whole system 2 teraflops of overall performance. It will sport 256MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz, and it will have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700MHz."

The Xbox 360 has 3 processors that run at 3.2ghz. 512mb GDDR of main RAM (not sure of the speeds). I'm not sure about the graphics' chip's RAM though...

It's pretty impressive. Especially the RSX chip. Xbox 360 most likely will get a head start since it's releasing this Thanksgiving. And the Xbox 360 is going to be more of a Multimedia Center, allowing you to rip music, use it almost like a computer etc. with it's removable 20gb hard drive that can be upgraded. Seems like the PS3 has almost the same Multimedia features, but they don't say anything about the size of the hard drive.

7 Bluetooth contollers are definately an improvement over the PS2's 2 (although Bluetooth is better for long range and more expensive, and you're not going to be playing games from across the house, so normal wireless is good enough for normal living room play).

All in all, extremely impressive. Now only of paranoia struck Microsoft would relase more information about the Xbox 360...

As of now I'd say the PS3 is looking a little ahead of the XBOX, espeically when it won't even be released until spring time of '06 which means they can easily improve anything that needs it. Here is another article that actually provides screens of some demos for the PS3.

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2417&p=1

EDIT: And to add to what Alvino said, it kinda seems as if Microsoft sorta went the CPU route, and Sony decided to go the GPU route. Which ultimately means, were in for one hack of a battle in the graphics department. I think in the end that the graphics will look so good for both that it won't really matter and we won't even be able to tell the difference, it'll just really come down to the games and personally I've always like the games on Playstation more. A lot of it is preference really cuz both are so damn good and can do stuff almost the same, it really depends what suits your needs more and what exclusive games it has (like Sony has GT series, DMC, Ratchet and Clank, Tekken, GTA, well they have GTA for like a year then it goes to XBOX, but whatever).

Well in the end, it really comes down to which ever system is better balanced. If you have a better CPU but a bad GPU, then it's a bottleneck. Same goes with the good GPU but worse CPU route. The Cell is an amazing technology (considering the size), but it seems like the Xbox 360 beats it. On the other hand, the RSX is faster than the custom ATI chip that the 360 is due to have (by a mere 50mhz).

lol that's what I said. Microsoft kinda went the cpu route to get a faster processor, but Sony has thebetter GPU, which is why I'm saying that it should be very competetive and very evenly matched. The difference between both will be minimal and it will really come down to the games, or whichever offers more in the multimedia department, but personally I like Sony's games more which is why I'm staying loyal to the Playstation and getting the third.

Yup, and that's why I'm going to be a loyal Xbox gamer and go with the 360. :)

That contoller looks huge! i'm a guy but my hands are girly(lol). my hand will never be able to grip that right.

Back
Top Bottom