Can't Open CD

Tosh McCaber

Solid State Member
I've received a business training course on a CD, which, unfortunately, will not open. I've tried it on both my own, and a friend's computer, both running Win 2000. When I try to run it, the following message box comes up:

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose “Close” to terminate the application.

At the bottom are two options- Close/ Ignore

Choosing Ignore comes up with a box with the white cross on a red circle entitled Toolbook II (probably the name of the CD Course) “Cannot find TB70NET. EXE (or one of its components).

I then tried on my work computer, which also runs on Win 2000, and it works! My colleague has received one, and it works fine for him. (He is running Win XP)

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tosh

hm maybe it meams that your res or what ever has to be set at 32 bit.... rick click on desktop then settingers then by where u adjust the res you will see a color quality make it 32 bit if you pc will allow it....

For what its worth, a box appears when I install the disk stating:

"This course is designed to run at a resolution of 1024x768. Some windows may be displaced."
I'vr tried resetting my graphics resoliution to that, but it made no difference.

(I normally run at a higher resolution than that.)

Most new OS's have hardly any DOS capabilities and that's probably what you need to run that program; you can get some pretty good DOS emulators. I don't have time to find you one but if you go onto google you could find a good one. If you need anything else just ask.

My mate had this problem once. It occured when there was conflicting drivers and programs since he'd never done any clean outs. The only way he could fix it was doing a full format and re-install...though there must be a way around this

TB70NET. EXE will be the program it is trying to run from the CD., and for some reason something must be conflicting making it think its a DOS program.

Can you run it in safe mode? Restart the PC and press F8 at bootup (i think), and select Safe mode from the list. Check if it works there.
If it does, at least you know something is conflicting with what runs in windows normally, and not in safe mode at least. We could then narrow it down I guess.

Got it resolved- by my computer expert pal! He emailed me three missing files that I had to add to the WinNT / System32 folder. The files were called, respectively, autoexec.nt, CONFIG NT, and command.com. (Two of them replaced older copies already there.)

Afterwards, voila!- I clicked on the CD, and it opened!

I can email the files to anyone in the unlikely event of someone with similar problems. Send me a PM.

Thanks to all,

Tosh

Back
Top Bottom