"the RPC service is unavailable"

ROSEBLOOD

Baseband Member
I having problems with my PC. I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) and the other day I was using my PC when it dropped my wireless network connection (happens a few times a month). So I didnt think much about it. I restarted my computer after it would ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew. We wired my computer to our network and it still wont get connection. When I try to connect/repair it says "Acquiring Network Address" and it hangs there. This happend over a week ago. I have tried everything I know, when I try to do ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew it says this (and I quote):
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 1: The RPC Server is unavailable.
An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 2: The RPC Server is unavailable.

I know its not the network or my CAT5 cable. I am using the network with my moms laptop and i checked the cable and its good.

I have also spent the better part of 2 hours on Microsofts website looking for anything that will help....but I couldnt find anything.

I have checked what services are running (services.msc) and the RPC (Remote Procedure Call) service is running.

I have been backing up all my important files on CD's and when Im done and I still cant fix the problem im going to format my PC and install Windows XP Pro. So far im not even half-way done.

Anyone have any idea of what is going on with my computer?

Thanks in advance.

~ROSEBLOOD

CAUSE
This issue can occur for any of the following reasons:
• The RPC service may not be started.
• You are unable to resolve a DNS or NetBIOS name.
• An RPC channel cannot be established.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
1. Click Start, click Run, type the following line in the Open box, and then click OK:
net start rpcss
Test to see if this resolves the issue. If the issue still occurs, continue to the next step.
2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories,and then click Command Prompt.
3. At the command prompt, type ping servername, where servername is the server, NetBIOS, DNS, or GUID name that you want to test for connectivity.

If there is a connection issue with one of these computers, contact your network administrator to resolve the issue. If the issue still occurs, continue to the next step.
4. Use the Netdiag tool that is included in the Microsoft Windows Support Tools (included on the Windows CD-ROMs) to determine if the domain controller is working correctly. You can perform a network trace using the MSRPC, DNS, NBT, LDAP, or TCP protocols.

If there is an issue with the domain controller, contact your network administrator to resolve the issue. If the issue still occurs, continue to the next step.
5. Use the Netdom tool that is included in the Windows Support Tools to verify network trust relationships and reset or establish a connection to a server.

Ive used that, and I dont have a Windows XP Support CD. I bought the computer with XP Home already installed, and they never gave me a CD. Can I get those tools from Micro$ofts website, or from a 3rd party?

~ROSEBLOOD

should have came with a CD if it was already installed. Who did you buy it from? They owe you a CD.

We got it from IBM....and we never got a CD. BUT WHO CARES IT WORKED!!!!!! I LOVE YOU (in a completely heterosexual way). I HAVE INTERNET!!!!

~ROSEBLOOD

Back
Top Bottom