can you put a larger MB on a 700mb cd-r

Hmm... I'm not sure about that.
I get what you mean though, though it couldn't therietically stretch it that far.
It could in some means I think compress a 1gb into 700mb but it depends on the file intended for use. An EXE for example wouldn't compress that much.

If its an ISO file or some type of image file, this will be why you can't use over burn or compress it.

Your only option would then be to get a bigger CD-r, which is a really easy option.

ColdwaterCS said:
hey guys
is there anyway that you can fit a larger file on a 700mb cd-r because I tryed to download the linux Mandrake 10.1 from linuxiso.org and when I download it it says 718.0 mb and i am just wondering if there is anyway that I can put that file onto a 700mb cd-r or do I have to buy a larger mb cd-r like 800mb or even by a dvd burner just to fit the 718 mb on to the disk. so if anybody can help me out on this problem that would be really great. Thanks Tim

Hi there,

Well I have in the past been able to fit 720mb on a single 700mb CDR using Nero Burning Rom. You can try compressing the file further down using a good compression program like WinRar using the "Best Compression" option and it might just knock off and extra 10mb, so your 720mb program will ovbviously become 710mb.

Just keep in mind that i have created many CD's where the files im copying exceeded the 700mb mark, "Nero Burning Rom" would just come up on screen telling me that the file will not fit onto CD UNLESS I finalise the CD, if you click yes to the option then it will be added.

Yeah this will be why then.
Just buy a 800mb cd-r set, or even 730mb ones :)

ColdwaterCS said:
all my linux download its a ISO images.

i have no problems with 720mb any day... Nero somehow manages to squash the extra few megabytes onto CD and finalises it

If its too much, just go with Kage's idea... hunt for the 800 CD... :)

Wont exactly have to hunt :p You can buy them from any store now hehe. 800MB's normal now for Cd-r's.

Yeah that thing sometimes works for me to in nero, though sometimes has the nack of not... seems to pick if it feels like it or not :p

Kage said:
Wont exactly have to hunt :p You can buy them from any store now hehe. 800MB's normal now for Cd-r's.

Yeah that thing sometimes works for me to in nero, though sometimes has the nack of not... seems to pick if it feels like it or not :p

I personally cant find the 800mb CDs :)
Ive got about 90 blank Sony 700mb CDs next to me

Ive asked around a few computer shops, no one knows what im
talking about...

I might be getting a DVD burner to end the crisis :) hehehe

Hmm weird. I can get loads from computer shiops here in the UK. Even from HMV and Game... or somewhere like WhSmith if you have them.

I have about 50 800mb ones left. There all a non known make, but they seem to do well for normal things.

Kage said:
Hmm weird. I can get loads from computer shiops here in the UK. Even from HMV and Game... or somewhere like WhSmith if you have them.

I have about 50 800mb ones left. There all a non known make, but they seem to do well for normal things.

I just contacted a wholesaler and he said that he can make a special order for me, but i have to buy something like 10 packs of 100 Boxed CD's for the order to be valid :p

im happy with 700mb :) hehe....
I remember the days when we had the 650 MB cds and the 700 mb
were so special...

I know that down in Australia where Im originally from, Id find the 800mb CDs everywhere, but im presently in pyramid land (Egypt) and for some silly reason its not common out here in my area ;)

well where can i buy the 800mb in the states (united states) at? and i might try the nero see if i can do that way tonight.

Back
Top Bottom