CPU Usage and PF Usage

cantona

Daemon Poster
in task manager in the performance section there is the the graphs and then the two bars next to it: Cpu Usage and PF Usage.

My computer usually runs CPU at 2-4% but recently when ive had look its been as high as 100% with PF usually around 330 MB mark.

It also jumps around quite a bit like when i am running just one virus search it will go from 30% to 80%.

I dont know if this is normal and would desperately want some info on it.

PS. My PC states is:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512 MB Ram
120 GB Hard Drive
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Edition

Hope this helps

Do you have anything running in the background? It will usually spike like that when you are running a process especially when running the virus scans. I have Bearshare downloading some things right now and here are my specs for Task Manager performance:

CPU Usage==4-10%
PF Usage===496 MB

Both seem high, so I ran virus and spy checks (even used 3 different antispyware programs). Everything checks out ok. Your specs seem to be working fine.

Virus scans can use alot of CPU usage since its searching the hard drive almost all the time. I wouldn't expect it to jump that high though...

Try going into the task manager and going to processes, on the virus scan process right click it and set the priority to lower so that it doesn't use as much CPU power. You'll expect the scan to run a tad bit slower though, but doesn't matter I guess if you do stuff in the background.

Check also that no more processes are running than needed. Has anything been added that might be running? Very weird that it has suddenly slowed though. There must be something going on

Hope this helps

it shouldn't really affect it because i had a pentium 3 1ghz with 386mb ram and i was running mcafee and windows anti spy as well as a couple of firewalls!

Thanx for the advise guys and i did do what u told me by going through my processes and checking them out.

While doing this i noticed one avgcc.exe doing 14,492 without it doing anything (AVG the free virus protection which i downloaded two days ago) so i wasnt running a scan and it was doing this also i noticed that a tmproxy.exe was doing 73,016 is this high and should i set both of these to low priority?

Thanx

Yes, that was exactly what i was thinking because when that happened to me there a few weeks ago and i found out that there was loads of adware i think that you should check all your processes you could have something running in the background. Me:

CPU usage: 5%
PF Usage: 237MB

Yeah those processes are using alot of memory... :eek: That could be the reason why your CPU is working over time, especially if you had a low amount of RAM...

I would try setting them to Low priotity yes and try that.
I would update your RAM amount too though. How much do you have installed? 256mb? 512mb?

Well 87 1/2 mb of your memory is going because of the antivirus program in that case, and if just these programs were running, you'd have about 424.5mb of mem left, yet other things will be running.

Go into the Performance part of the Task Manager and could you possibly give us the amount of free memory after all the processes have eaten it up in the physical side?

I have 1024mb, yet I only have 409mb left! Running 44 processes...

weel im not really sure wat ur asking so here goes...

with 43 processes running the physical memory (K):
Total:523760
Available: 199848
System Cache: 234632

Back
Top Bottom