help please!

You don't say what your memory status is. If you have 2 modules pull 1 and start over. If that doesn't work swap them. If you are trying to load XP it is VERY nasty about memory.

i have 1 512mb chip of ram and i've got xp but the disc is weird and doesn't load unless i use windowsto browse the cd!

What are you trying to do? seems kind of confusing here. Are you trying to install xp or 98?
In installing 98 there is a major issue about installing to a large hdd You have to partition to no larger than 32 gigs for installing it.
In xp you must use the formating/utillity disc that came with your new hdd to set up the drive to handle "large drive capabilities. If not then if your drive is over 120 gigs, xp will fail. Also, you have to make sure that for installing 98...the "boot first" order in the bios is set to floppy then hdd 0 then cd-rom...while for xp the boot sequence has to be ...cd-rom first then hdd or floppy. And in both cases the on board virus protection in the bios must be turned off.

i'm trying to use 98 because my xp disc is weird and won't load up on start up and my harddirve is small and crappy (20gb)
i've install windows 98 but when ever it load onto it i get either a protection error or explorer must close and that causes me not to be able to use my computer!

sorry for double posting but could it be because the processor is a pentium 4 3ghz with hyperthreading tech ? and windows 98 se doesn't surport ht tech does it? so would this mean i should try windows xp or something else?

Hmm Windows XP should indeed be better... but your making me wonder about the hyper threading option now... Can you turn it off or not? If you can, try it then..though...hmm....
I would get Windows XP def. It'll be supported for longer by Microsoft for updates, etc anyway, and performs better.

i know i had it before but i'm going to get the xp pro sp2 disc now so hopefully that should work:D

Oh so you mean Windows XP already pre-built with Service Pack 2? Thats kewl :)
Though if you mean a SP2 update disc, this won't install windows...it'd just have SP2 on it, which needs SP1, and so Windows XP to install originally...

Thats okay then. Good luck with it :)
Sorry I misunderstood you. Was just making sure hehe

Back
Top Bottom