ms dos

Half Evil

Golden Master
ok, i know that ms dos is the basic operating system for win 95-me, but i cannonot seem to find it for win xp, i have heard some rumors that ms dos i was now insuffucent for working xp, so if this is true wuts running xp?
~please help~

XP runs on XP. It is an operating system rather than an operating enviroment(where DOS was the operating system)

It'd still need to use DOS to bootup windows in the first place though as it is not insufficent to boot needed EXE files because all operating systems by Windows have to somehow boot from this operating system since its the standard background starter program! hehe.

As soon as Windows is booted though after all files have been accessed, I don't think DOS is needed since Explorer and other small programs act as the main program to run all other programs after they have all been loaded to RAM.

Think of Windows this way, and it makes it soo much more simpler:

It is just a program, ran and managed by many many other small little programs to make an operating system.

Still need dos for something though i would be lost without it. i reload all my windows backups from dos .

Yeah exactly. It is the basic operating system all windows are in some way based on or started from.

Without Dos, your computer wouldn't even boot up...doesn't matter about the BIOS to starting it really without something to carry on, neverlone start windows hehe

Kage said:
Yeah exactly. It is the basic operating system all windows are in some way based on or started from.

Without Dos, your computer wouldn't even boot up...doesn't matter about the BIOS to starting it really without something to carry on, neverlone start windows hehe

The bios and the cpu instructions are not dos. They are basic machine code. XP doesn't use or require dos to boot up. When it's done with posting the next instruction it gets is to read the hard drive and execute the instructions it finds there. That's a real simple way of looking at it but it does not use dos as you are referring to it.

Oh... I thought that that was in a way DOS, but then i thought of BIOS, but I just thought this was the code to load dos and hard drive info, etc... oh...never mind then hehe

Thanks Setishock for clearing my thoughts out once again :D

You can run old-school 16bit DOS in XP by typing command into Run...

You can run the more modern 32bit equivalent by typing in cmd. It has more features.

Back
Top Bottom