Installing windows on blank HDD

How do you do it? I don't want to transfer files, or anything else unless I have to. I just want to install windows XP on a blank HDD. I already have posted my idea on how to do it, but no one said it was correct.

Here it is again.

Place Windows XP CD in CD drive. Go into BIOS and change boot device priority to CD drive and have the hard drive booted second. Save these options and then reboot the computer and the windows XP CD should boot me into the installization. It's sad.... I've never done this before.

Yeah those instructions you got given are right :)
Don't worry, people have to go it the first time sometime. You'll know what to do next time. Since you have Windows XP, the process will be rather easy anyway,.

START:

Restart the computer and keep pressing DEL til you get some menus (this is the BIOS). Now enter the first menu (or if not, it'll be the second one on the left), press Enter to access menus and Enter to select things to change.

You'll find a list here saying

1st Boot Device
Second Boot Device
Third Boot Device

Set by pressing Enter and then the up, down arrows as the 1st boot option, CD Rom,
then select the second boot device to Hard drive, or IDE-0 which the case might be.

Now press escape to go back a step in the menu and use the arrow keys to select Save and Exit. Press Y and enter to except the changes.

INSTALLING WINDOWS:

Now make sure the Windows XP disc is in, and it'll reboot.

Now when windows would usually start, it'll come up with text saying 'Press any key to boot from cd'. Press enter.

It'll now start copying files to RAM to start the setup process. Just follow through as most of it will be automatic.

The first menu will be where you want to create the windows, just select where it is, and press next.

The next menu you wil have to change will simply be registration info like time and date, etc.

NOTE:

If you have a USB mouse, you might not be able to use the mouse to select things.
So simply press the TAB key on the keyboard to move down seperate things like things you might need to type in, Enter to select, and Escape to go back and arrow keys to move across and things.

FINISHING:

It will restart a few times within the installation process and this is fine.

After all this has done and it says 100% complete and says it is going to restart, you will be able to take the disc out and windows will start to boot.
It'll now let you set up wndows the way you want, and give you a tour.

Simple as that :D

I hope this helps :)

No, its not Dustinbumpy's fault that he hasn't done it before. Everyone has to start somewhere!

Don't feel bad Dustinbumpy, just don't listen.
Follow my instructions and it'll follow you through to the end ^ :)

ok thanks. It's weird I know all this other stuff about PC's but have no clue how to install windows on a blank hdd. Oh well, now I know.

Worth noting that to use the HDD you have to create a partition and format it.

Follow the instructions, the installer should do this for you (at least it did on the Win2K installer).

You can't go wrong, the instructions are brilliant.

Hey thanks :)

As for the partition and formatting side of things, the installer does this all automatically :D

Back
Top Bottom