low disk space

Steve Center

Beta member
I keep having my computer tell me I'm at critically low disk space. I have not installed anymore than I have had for a long time now, in fact I have deleted a lot, thinking I would free some space, which for a short period of time, it did, but now it seems it keeps going down. Besides the fact that some one might have infected my computer with one of their virus's,( which my son seems to think so ) do the favorites a person has on their computer, go on their hard drive? My son who is up there with you guys and gals, says it only accounts for a small part. He is saying that he needs to reformat my computer, but as for now, he can't seem to get the time. Is he correct on my favorites, cause I do have a "bunch" of them, business related mostly. Thanks for the input

Your favourits account for very very little hard drive space so yes your son is correct.system restore can take space up everytime you boot the system it keeps a image so if your introuble you can restore your system back to how it was and it can take a lot of space up if you let it.
I prsonaly dont use it but for most it can be a life saver so dont turn it off unless you know what you are doing .But i believe you can limit how much space it uses. RIGHT CLICK/ MY COMPUTER/PROPERTIES/SYSTEM RESTORE somewhere there i think you can alter the amount of space.
also have you considered installing a bigger hard drive what size do you have.
Hope this helps

yeah, i defrag twice a week, its pretty important, or you could always get a bigger hard drive

I think that the best thing for him to do now is to do a disc clean-up.
start>programs>accessaries>system tools>disk clean-up
and when it comes up Check all the boxes on the left side. Then click on the "other options tab" and there is a selection to "remove all but the latest system restore files" so click that then OK everything . If you have a lot of disc compression it will take quite a while but it will also speed you up somewhat also.
When you get done with that then do a defrag.
start>programs>accessaries>system tools>defrag

Back
Top Bottom