trouble booting up

compgek

Baseband Member
i was taking my old computer out of the basement and when i hooked it up and turned it on the monitor was blank but i could hear that it booted up i tryed reattatching the wires , reseating the video card booting without the memory nothing is working

Please help !!

Thats one point to mention, don't boot without the memory as it won't boot anyway.

Even though its booting up, there might be a problem somewhere with one of the wires, the ones with the hard drive indicators, etc which might stop it from starting the boot process, even though fans are spinning up.

Also check for a 12v slot on the motherboard, since if this is sometimes not connected, it will boot but some things won't, for example, the monitor. I had this. It should be a spare wire coming off the pSU that should connect to something on the motherboard close to that long ribbon power cable.

Plus make sure your not connecting the monitor to an onboard video slot, if you have one that runs off PCI or AGP for example (I'm not saying you wouldn't of checked this, but tis just an example) since this wouldn't make the monitor work either.

Hope some of these suggestions help :)

try cleaning off the video card contacts at the bottom, just take a pencil eraser and rub it on the contacts and be very careful....make sure you're grounded and all that. I had this problem one time with one of my old computers.
Also, this might be a dumb question, but, was it working right when you put it in the basement?

hehe Tommy Boy that was funny. The basement of revival hehe. Though I'm sure Compgek'd know that :p

thanx tommy and kage for the suggestions i will go and try them now

Yes it did work before

Does the basement get slightly damp if so let comp stand for a day or two there may be some condensation or damp in it unlikeley i know but you never know.
Have you tried another monitor if possible.
how long has it been in the basement?

Back
Top Bottom