Microsoft's AntiSpyware Tool Removes Internet Explorer

Masahiro

BSOD
Source: http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

Many Microsoft Windows users who downloaded the recently released AntiSpyware program from Microsoft, or had it installed through an automatic Windows update, woke up to a surprise. Unintentionally, the heuristics of the software detected Internet Explorer as spyware, and removed the program from their systems.

AntiSpywareMicrosoft has pulled the program from its website until the problem can be corrected. Elias Weatherbee, a Microsoft representative, said the program was "only in beta" and that "a fix was forthcoming."

"It shows how powerful our AntiSpyware program is," said Weatherbee. "Not only is it able to remove spyware from the system, but also the source of most spyware. Our competitors can't match that."

A representative from Lavasoft, which sells Ad-Aware another spyware removal program, complained that Microsoft was using its monopoly and knowledge of the operating system to "offer features that others can't match."

"Tough s**t," said Weatherbee.

Many computer users did not view this new "feature" positively. "I tried to check the weather this morning and all my little blue 'e' icons were missing. I couldn't get to the Internet at all. I guess I'll have to get a new computer," said Windows XP user Graham Newton.

Users of alternative browsers were happy to see Internet Explorer gone. Thad Freeman of the Mozilla Users Group said, "I've been trying for years to get rid of Internet Explorer. I never imagined that Microsoft would do it for me. I'm ecstatic."

Microsoft technical support was advising customers to reinstall Windows to regain Internet access and to disable automatic updates.

Symantec Antivirus Research reported that virus sightings were down by 95% this morning.

Um...

Um so you did. And right there at the very top of the page. I just opened my eyes. Give me a break...LOL

Ok ok... After reading the report if you call it that I find it hard to think for one second weatherby would open himself up to a lawsuit as well as embarass the company by saying something like that in print.
Although I did see the irony of something like that happening, I find it hard to believe. Must be a wishfull FireFox user.

Lol. Microsoft gets worse by the day (and more desperate)...

You all do realize while M$ is realizing that they built their OS pretty crappy from the ground up, Linux is dominating everything (slowly but steadily).

Lol, That's hilarious! Especially the thing the firefox guy said! "I've been wanted to get rid of IE, I didn't know Microsoft would do it for me!" Haha

i tried to download it but i can not find the update, maybe because they removed it :) no harm in trying to find it

!) The article is dated Wednesday, January 19 12:00 AM ET, so even if there was such an update, its long gone by now.

!!)Its a BBspot article. Its not true. Its meant to make people laugh. if you couldn't tell, read the titles of the related articles:
* Microsoft Announces Ads for Blue Screen of Death
* Microsoft Granted Patent for Creating Insecure Software
* Microsoft Bundles Worm with IIS

Back
Top Bottom