Getting soundcard working under Linux

UK31337

Fully Optimized
Hi,

I've got an old PC dualbooting Win2K and Fedora Core 3.

The soundcard is a Creative SB Live! Value (CT4780) -> I did say it was an old machine :)

Thing is, it works under Windows without a hitch, but not under Linux. I'm sure it worked though when I configured Linux for the first time after rebooting when the install was done.

I run the soundcard detection thing, and it seems to detect it (says it's a Creative Labs card) there's just no sound. I've turned up the volume on the taskbar in GNOME, and also in KMix in KDE, the speakers are turned on, turned up and plugged into the PC, but still nothing.

Creative's site says my soundcard should be compatible with the standard ALSA drivers built into Linux without me having to change anything, and that's what I've got set up, but still not getting any sound.

Can anybody help?

Hmm, even though it has detected it as a Sound Blaster Live card, this could just be the auto detection set on the card to tell you what it is to install drivers.

Because it is another set up you'll just have to install the sound drivers again using the disc in that case.

Go to the control panel, and then to Add/Remove hardware. After it says it has found a soundcard but needs drivers, make it see the CD Rom if its a cd or drivers you have downloded by saying you want to search for them yourself and then clicking browse to find the drivers.

Then it'll hopefully install them, restart, and it should work :D

I hope this helps :)

Works now, I just hadn't fixed ALL the volume settings so it was working all along!

Oops :)

Back
Top Bottom