Formatting issues

Fredrick

Solid State Member
Okay so I recently formatted my hard drive, it had Win95 on it. Except I put the boot disk I made in and said it couldn't read it (Yeah I know I should've tested it before) so now I have a problem. I have a formatted hard drive and no boot disk, I have the Win95 disk on me. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

boot Disk

have you got a freind that will let you use his pc to download a win 95 boot disk from the internet

Well I don't think the Windows 95 CD can boot like newer ones:

You must be using a PC now, so go here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Download the Windows 95 one listed there, either alt1 or alt2, it doesn't matter, its just a different connection to get it.

Once thats done, unzip the file using Windows unzipper also on that machine and then put these on a formatted floppy disc. To format one, just go into My Computer, right click the A drive and on the menu go to format and follow the steps.

Then place these files from the zip folder into the A drive and once thats done, take it to the other pc and boot from it. Then simply type :)

If not, though it seems you must have it set up to come up with that error, you might be best checking that its set to boot at startup.

Go to BIOS, (press del at bootup), now I think its the first menu, check that the Floppy Disc is set to boot before the hard drive in Boot order (or IDE)

You should now just be able to sail through the process of installation, after typing the commands to boot from the CD. Should be something like:

x:setup

x being your cd drive (could be D,E for example), which should then start it off.

Hope this helps

Cheers for the help. I downloaded one of the bootdisks on the site formatted a floppy disk ran the application and saved it to the floppy. I made sure BIOS would boot up from the floppy first and then restarted my computer. I then got this error: "FDC Error, Press F1 to continue" so I continued and I got another error saying there was no record from the floppy disk and I tried that a few times. Any ideas?

Hmm...are you sure you formatted the floppy disc? Unzipped the file first before placing it on, so it had seperate files on it? (I'm sorry, these are just precautions :p)

If this doesn't work, I've had a look around, and seems like it could be an error to do with the drive itself.
Can you by any chance get into the computer and check cables from the floppy drive and motherboard are connected properly? because you said the disc before wouldn't work? Did it have the same error message?

Have you tried using your floppy disc drive before? After you connected it to your PC I mean. I'm thinking it could be the IDE cable connecting to it too if the same error was recorded before. Since some people changed floppy drives and the same error was recorded.

The stupid thing though is WIN 95 only boots from floppy and doens't have its own auto boot like newer windows like Windows XP would and so can't boot from the cd... this makes it very hard if the device won't work

I'm sorry about the messing :(
Hope this helps though

This is what I did, I inserted the floppy disk and went to my computer clicked format and it formatted. I then downloaded what you told me too to my hard drive, ran the file and it started installing, I then got this error when it was loading "Disk error on track 79 head 0" I assume this means I need another floppy disk (I can carry files around on it though)? I click ignore and it finishes the process.

To answer your other questions, yes I can check the cables connecting the floppy drive etc. I have used the drive before, the computer is actually quite old so I'm not fussed if I do loose it or not. I'll check the cables a bit later on and give some feedback.

Okay doke.
That seems like a problem with the disk though could be the floppy drive too. Since you said to ignore, it might not have copied some vital data of the boot disc because it might of needed data from there.

You could try getting a new floppy disc and trying that if cables all seem fine. They'll cost pennys now :p

I wonder if theres a way to copy the windows 95 disc so that it has an auto boot function in dos that works like a boot disc. There should be a way, I'm sure there is...

Okay so on monday I'll go buy some floppy disks and crank them then yeah everything will e woe

Hopefully! :D

Report back in both accounts. I'd like to know how things go on :)

Back
Top Bottom