Help Powerbook Sleep

Suplox

Solid State Member
Dear ALL,

I am a 17 year old High school student, My term papers are due next week. I own a duel usb iBook. I stayed up last night working on my paper, feel asleep at my computer, I awoke and it was on the floor. First thing out of my mouth was an explitive. Now when i start my computer, as soon as it gets to the login screen it goes to sleep. I believe you(your greatness) may be able to help me. I need to know the file that allows the computer to sleep or the piece of hardware that recognises that the computer has been closed(I will have no problem removing it if i knew what it was). I will appreciate any help you can offer. ps: running OSX 10.2.6

Thanks, Rich

Well, it could possibly be software-related, but I doubt it. It sounds more mechanical. If you look over it carefully, you should come across a small switch or button near where the folding joint is. It could be very tiny, or it could be pretty obvious. Many laptops have some sort of small pin that gets pushed down when the lid is closed. I don't know if iBooks use this or anything similar, but I'm sure if you look carefully, you'll find something of the sort. You might have to take it apart to find a switch. (The Sony Vaio I'm using right now doesn't have one on the outside, but there has to be one inside somewhere. I think mine is by the latch that holds it shut, but I've never opened it up to look.) I'd imagine this part is what's causing you the problems. It could have become stuck when it fell, or it might have broken completely. If you can find that switch, you should be able to fix it.

EDIT> If it's still under a warranty that covers something like that, I'd just get it fixed by a pro. Better safe than sorry. If not, expect to pay a few thousand dollars for it to be fixed. ;)

Well...

I've opened it a few times. I'm looking for schematics so i can find the switch that enables sleep. I cant seem to find it. But thanx. :)

I had a promblem like this. The CPU chip pins where crushed and bent. Although it didn't make the computer sleep, it wouldn't let the video come on. I also had another computer that the CPU chip had bent prongs and the computer would restart as soon as it came on. All prongs do something different if they are bent or screwed up. Since the computer fell on the floor this could possibly be it.

Well...Can you tell me where they are. I think i could unbend them. or possibly replace them

Hmm to me this seems more a hardware problem, yeah, since it dropped. It won't be software related.

Usually it would sleep if you closed the top down,
so I guess the monitor just then switches off after getting to windows and a sleep icon appears on the laptop?

This to me could still be a case issue with one of the monitor cables in that case.

You know when you close it, it has a catch?
Maybe this has got stuck in the closed position somewhere, since your laptop MUST have one if it has a sleep option since this is how all laptops can tell
Rather like a sleep button would on a normal PC.

EDIT: I know you've already been told this... but I'm sure its something like that though....it must be (as long as the laptop has a sleep option within it)

My bit:

The fact that its actaully booting fine, and seeing the hard drive and booting up windows must mean the hard drive and stuff is working fine.

I guess you do get a sleep light though when the monitor switches off (if it has one)? and does Windows say its going into sleep mode on the boot up screen?

If this is all the case, then yeah, it will be a switch or something inside the case, and nothing more. It must be there somewhere... even if its on the catch which it closes with or on the things that close...

Ehh... You could have to completly disamble the laptop and the CPU chip should be inside. I'm hoping you know what one looks like and are able to take it out. Normally you can't fix bent prongs or broken prongs. You need a new chip (varies from $20-200). I have fixed a chip before, but only one prong was bent. That doesn't seem like the issue with your computer. I don't have the laptop you have, but they are all about the same when it comes to CPU chip loction. Try checking your manual to see where the chip is and see if anything is wrong.

OK... Well I'm going back in. I'll look for any type of switch that can enable sleep when the laptop is closed. thanks for all your help. I'll tell you how it turns out.

Kewl. There must be something... it could also be going into Hibernation if the computer is actually turning off with no sound or anything by the way.
This could also be operated by a switch. I'd depend all on the settings.

That was my original thought, I was thinking i could "remove" the ability to sleep, by messing around with the software.

Back
Top Bottom