reinstalling windows

j Rizzo

In Runtime
my computer wont let me reinstall windows, when i hit f11 at bootup, nothing happens, when i try to run the recovey application my computer just restarts and boots normally. does anybody know how i can do it? i don't have a windows disc

Set your bios to boot from CD first. If you have the Windows setup CD in when you boot, it should go to Windows setup.

EDIT> Sorry, I just read that you don't have the Windows CD; however, the same effect should be achieved with a recovery CD.

i bought it as a gateway and got absolutely no discs. but now pretty much the only thing thats still stock is the mobo and i think windows is trying to keep it that way for some reason. if i make a boot disc wouldnt that just boot windows normally?

here is the issue. You have a partition on your hdd that will reload your os in a like new condition. How you access that partition is another story. you need to contact gateway and see what it says for you to do to redo your system.

just something to add: when i hit f11 it tells me a problem has occured and windows has shut down, it told me to run chkdsk so i did but it still does the same thing

Thats wrong, they should have given you at least a bootdisc even if it is saved on the hard drive...Thats mad that, especially since they are if hard drives collapse, on another partition or not.

Seems like something more has happened in that case to that bit of the drive with the info on.

The best thing you could do is ring where you got it from and request for a boot disc to do this manually.

Though, you could try booting into Windows, does that extra partition show with the bootdisc info on it? You might be able to somehow run it from here and it might ask to restart (I don't know how those things work) or you might be able to copy this onto a disc if it has boot information on it... Though I would say your problem and ask for a disc.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom