Internet 2

Syn7ax 3rror

Banned
Hey. Has anyone heard about this? I heard that it has insane speeds, like a gig a second. You can download movies in seconds. Where do you get it, and is it available?

It has been out for quite a long time but it is strictly in reference to INTRANET applications. That is big business can get it for their servers and things like that but I don't know of any ISP offering it for a personal computer. Net working cards have been out for it called 10/100/1000

I thought it was called "The Grid" and you can rent more speed and it will boost your computer performace. In other words no more computer upgrades. But that's what I got from Maximum PC. Not 100% sure.

oc-192 goes like a crapload of gigs a sec. but its only for the gov i think. fiber optics and whatnot.

hmm me and my mate were speaking about this the other day.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Led by more than 200 U.S. universities, working with industry
and government, Internet2 develops and deploys advanced
network applications and technologies for research and higher
education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet"
-internet2 homepage
-----------------------------------------------------------

The last i heard their best speed was 7.21 gigabits per second over a distance of 20,645 kilometers " more than half the circumference of the earth.
-extract form an article on a p2p forum.

Internet2 is already in the eyes of MPAA however....

"The Recording Industry Association of America and the Motion Picture Association of America on Wednesday separately will file lawsuits against college students that are allegedly using an Internet2 peer-to-peer service for illegal file trading.

The RIAA will file copyright infringement lawsuits against 405 college students, while the MPAA will do the same against an undisclosed number of college students. Both groups are targeting college students who have allegedly used their schools' high-speed Internet2 networks to trade files illegally using the Internet2 P-to-P service called i2hub, the trade groups announced separately this week."

-extract from a news file on pcworld.com

CONCLUSION: Internet2 is already in operation in universities accross America certainly. It is a very high speed internet link that offers unbelievable speed! Though the speed mentioned above is obviously not their standard at present!

Back
Top Bottom