'Run' Menu missing

Tempest

Baseband Member
Sounds stupid, but the 'run menu' is missing on my start menu.

So when I tried to hold down the windows key and hit 'R' I got a message saying I can't access it due to restrictions on the computer. contact the admin.

This is my computer. Only I use it, so why would that message all of a sudden appear ? It's not even a year old yet.

Classic Layout settings:

If you are working in the classic layout and you want to make Run show, go to Start, Settings, TaskBar and Start Menu. Go to Customise, and select to show Run on the start menu by ticking the box.

New Start menu:

If you are running on the Windows XP theme with the new start menu, go to Start, Control Panel, Taskbar and Start menu (since it won't be under Settings), and then go to the Advanced Tab at the top. Click the tickbox to Show run in the start menu from the list.

Access Rights:

As for it not allowing you to go on anything, have you got your account set to Administrator in Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then User Accounts?

Click to change an account, click on yours, and click on Change My Account Type. Set your self to have full control using Admin status. It might be set to Limited for instance.

I hope this helps

I'm running XP

> It will only allow me to use 'classic layout' and for some reason the first choice is all together missing entirely.

> Access rights - Says I'm Admin

> No tick mark to show run... only a handfull of selections that are useless.

This is not good huh lol

Try start-run-type SFC /SCANNOW and enter. You will need the xp cd. Note space between C and /. If that doesn't work here is the system repair procedure.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

If you're on XP Pro, create a shortcut to gpedit.msc (I was going to sat load it from Run... silly me)

Double click it, and go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates.

You'll see a load of different subfolders appear underneath. Click on the one for the Start Menu, and look in the panel on the right. You'll see "Display Run in Start Menu", double-click it, and click the "Enabled" radio button, and hit Apply.

You should now have the Run Command.

On a side note, can you run new programs from the "New Task" button on the Task Manager? That'll determine whether Run being disabled is the problem or not.

he seems to have gone which is good, cus we obviously helped him and by any chance do you have full access rights, are you on any network.?

Back
Top Bottom