Comp temp help please

Derek1

Baseband Member
i have an AMD Athlon XP 2800 and a Gigabyte 7VT600 RZ motherboard with KT400A chipset and 55C CPU temp, ive been told that the cpu runs hot as it is and the chipset are not the greatest and thats what the heat comes from.

can anyone verify this for me or give some suggestions to fix it. i dont want to get water cooling yet and i have 4 80mm fans and a 120mm fan.

thanks for any help

you sure you got thermal paste? lol i know i didnt and when i applied it the temp dropped 10 degrees

just a thought.... :confused:

just get a chipset fan that is easy to install over your chips

One possibilty, I have a K8T800Pro chipset that is runned by asus, and my computer only gets up in the 80s.. not bad considering i have 2 80ms and a 120ms fans..

Ok assuming that you are not running an overclocked cpu The temp is a little high.
The main question is How are you reading it? Is that a bios reading or a third party program reading the temps?
To fix it if it is a true reading depends on what type of fan you have and what is its rpm ratings. For some reason there seems to be a lot of under rated fans being attached to amd products.
All CPU fans need to run up to around 5000rpms and should run steady between 3500 to 4500 rpm under common usage and drop to 2500 to 3000 rpm for system idle(not after hard usage). Exception noted that quiet systems use slower rated fans at the expense of higher temps. and this may be what your issue is.
You can search for a higher rpm rated fan that will fit your socket or add a bigger fan with the use of adapters or bigger heatsinks and fan combos. There is a lot of open options that you can choose. Take a look at the posting by setishock here:
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=14149 . There are some links there to a place that supplies the things you may need.
There is one other issue that you may want to look at.....lapping your heat sink to a high polished surface to disperse heat transfer better.
http://www.directron.com/hsflapping.html
and this really helps cool it down some too.

ok i opened up my computer and took the hsf off and removed the manufacturers paste and put some artic silver 5 on ther and it helped a little, my temp reading comes from both a third party program and the bios (there pretty much the same temp reading) ill have to check out those links still.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom