Preventing Static Electricity

go to radioshack and buy one of these
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-2397

or one of these
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=276-2370

a whole mat that you can set the entire case onto would be a good investment. when you hook up the bracelet to the chassis of your computer, remember to move it back and forth to scrape the paint off a little so you get down to bare metal, since most computer chassis are painted...it looks like bare metal but usually is painted gray.

Um...

Did you know the case to the power supply is tied to the ground pin on the power plug? If you install the psu in to the case first thing and plug it in to the wall socket, you give static somewhere to go besides the motherboard. That way you just touch the case to discharge yourself before you touch any thing else.
Oh and leave the kill switch off till you get finished with the build. Some pins in the motherboard plug are live even though the system is off.

per said:
Just touching the case before touching any parts will discharge the static.

Watch how you say it, i know you ment to say touching your Power Supply the simple touching the case most likely would not work since most cases dont conduct Electricity if im not mistaken, Id recomend touching the Power Suply for a few Sec then being careful of just touching outsides of your parts you will be fine.

To me, it seems like your getting too worried about static. I mean it is important of course, but you don't have to worry too much, a little bit of protection will stop any static from messing up components :)

heres the free way to protect against static electricity: get a piece of speakerwire(preferably a large guage, tie a slipknot at one end with the wire exposed to put around your wrist, and expose just enough wire at the other end to make contact with your computer case, tie it around any hole on the rim of your case and VIOLA! free antstatic protection, this is what i use

Back
Top Bottom