asus mobo installation

j Rizzo

In Runtime
i've been trying to get my asus mobo installed for weeks now, iv'e started several threads and got a couple of suggestions that all led to dead ends, here's the whole story: I'm using an intel 915gag mobo right now, a couple of weeks ago i put the asus board in and it started right up. I logged on, played some video games, worked fine, then i realized i downloaded the wrong ethernet drivers so i put the intel board back in and waited for the driver disc to come, once i had it i put the asus board back in I expected it to work BUT NO, the first 3 times i tried to boot the monitor went into power save mode right away, the fourth time i was able to log on and windows told me i have 2 days to activate it(which i have already done, message doesn't appear with intel mobo), then the monitor went into power save again, i restarted again and apparently according to windows 2 days went by in the 2 minutes it took to reboot because now it says my time is expired, can't activate online because it won't let me log in to install the drivers, when i try to do it by phone my monitor goes into standby(just monitor, not computer) before i can even get through to them. wtf somebody help me.

I am assuming XP-Don't know what you have tried but this may work.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

everybody keeps telling me to use my xp cd, but i bought my computer as a gateway and i didn't get a disk, just a code. problem?

well see what u can do is probley reset your bios and then try to restall windows. or call up gateway or just go to gateway.com and type in your account number and the series of your computer and then just download the right ethernet drivers.

I am not familiar with the Gateway proprietary O/S but I assume if you replace the mobo the cd won't recognize it. Was the Intel board the original? You may have to buy a new XP cd from newegg, zipzoomfly, or somewhere.

ok i'll try to reinstall windows before i put the mobo in, but will that stop the monitor from randomly going into power save mode? i can't do crap if i cant see my desktop.

so what do you guys think; do i need a new copy of xp, or should i just re-install what i already have? i did have the asus working before, don't know what changed....

Back
Top Bottom