OpenOffice 2.0 Beta ready to be tested

solitary110

Baseband Member
The open source office applications suite claims to offer most of the functions of Microsoft's Office product. It includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing software.

End of December, a preview of the OpenOffice 2.0 suite was released, major improvements being better MS-Office loading and parsing, strict XML compliant output, a new database program that mimics Microsoft's Access.

The new release is available for 32-bit Windows, Linux (x86), Sun Solaris x86, and the traditional Solaris for Sparc.
One noteworthy addition to this upcoming 2.0 Oo_O release is the HSQL Embedded database engine a fast Java-based embedded database engine that once surprised everyone by beating IBM's Cloudscape (now also open sourced) and even C++ databases.

Also included is a user friendly database application dubbed "OpenOffice Base" which allows you to effortlessly create databases, queries and reports using helpful "wizards". Earlier 1.x versions of OpenOffice lack an embedded database and only the commercial StarOffice product includes one in the form of the bundled "Adabas D" licensed from Software AG, but even then such a friendly database front-end is missing from SO7.

The beta has a new user interface - designed to make refugees from Microsoft Office feel at home. However, since this is a beta version, the software needs further testing and is offered with "no guarantees".

The most obvious change in the OpenOffice.org editing window is in the treatment of toolbars. The Main toolbar, formerly on the left side of the window, has been exorcised entirely. So, too, have the sliding toolbars for lists and tables, and the long-click icon trays. Instead, toolbars pop open as required.

i have downloaded that and its really good, when i work out how to use it i might be replacing Microsoft Office

I'm yet to try this. I might you know :) I know that it accepts Microsofts files so this is a good point :D

Yeah I am going to try it, as it might be better and again, replace another Microsoft Product. The only thing Microsoft then, will be Windows on my machine....*whispers* oh and MSN Messenger... :eek:

i am starting to replace Microsoft Office as we speak, i have uninstalled PowerPoint, Excel, and the others but i am keeping WORD and OUTLOOK for now!

Sorry, OpenOffice on Linux really didn't impress me. The formatting options were rubbish, it was really clumsy and non user friendly, and slow.

And the files didn't interface 100% correctly between MS and OO, even thought they were the same format.

I'm keeping MS Office for now.

I have been using open office for about 2 years now. I have yet to update to the newer version but I have never had any problems with the interfacing with word.
I am into FREE and the original version worked just great and was very stable.

i have been using OpenOffice for a few days now and they only thing that i hate is the database program and how hard it is to create froms you have to use that writer program ... i am still yet to find any bugs i am impressed :)

Back
Top Bottom