XP-M or Mobile Sempron?

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Which would be best on battery life and over all performace? I know the Sempron is newer. Does it have better power saving features?

Both are 1.6GHz(XP 2200, Semp 2800) I'm finding laptops with both of these in them and I'm wondering if I should spend more for the Sempron...

This wouldn't be a gamming laptop or anything(obviously) Mostly just typing, chatting, maybe some online games. I might do some video/image editing too, but probably nothing too hard.

For mobile notebooks (like for business trips etc.) I personally like the Pentium M. It's probably Intel's best processor IMO. As far as performance, both should do suffice. I think the Sempron's newer core and architecture would allow for a bit better performance, but the XP-M should be cheaper because AMD is cutting the entire Athlon XP line sometime soon.

Please just stick to AMDs... They are more within my price...

Yeah, I know the XPs are going before too long, I just didn't know if there were any real advantages to the Semprons. Espcially some power saving or heat reducing features...

Hmmm...beats me :/ I'm not really experienced with the AMD Mobile Processor area.

I found a bit of info on the XP version and about half the people there complained about the heat. Sooo, I'll probably stick with the sempron...

the xp-m can oc like crazy... dunno aboot the sempron but i think those arent meant to be good. also the xp-m shouldnt have heat porblems cuz its designed for laptops. weird.

I'd say about a quarter of the personal reviews I read said something about heat and fan noise. However, I just spoke with someone who has one with an XP-2000 and says the fan is quiet or not even running most of the time. I don't beleive the one I saw sitting out in staples had it's fan running either... I'm going by there today to check it out a bit more...

Yeah, my grandad has got a laptop where no sound seems to come from it for a few minutes, and then you'l hear a fan powering up for about a minute or so which will then power down again. Its a good laptop too! I was surprised by how much noise it wasn't making!

I don't know if this would have been the CPU fan though. Could easily be a system fan or something powering up when temps go up.

Back
Top Bottom