Problem with computer at work:

technoman read the post before you post i never said there was anything wrong with norton the original thread said (he has norton but it would not get rid of the virus) not me. i just suggested using something else also the latest norton

I was going to bring my computer in later on. How does that work, anyway? I've never networked two hard drives together before. Can you give me a step-by-step from how to connect them together to how to get the files off of it?

Rick

ahhh i had the same problem a while back. the thread is here somewhere. anyways what happened is your boot files got fux0r3d. only way i know to fix it is to transfer the hd and move the boot files ur missing. or reinstall windows or we. or u could get a linux live cd and boot from that and save the files. i believe it would be the easiest

Ok, I tried everything I can think of, and I think the hard drive was wiped out when the problem occurred. Are there any cheaper (but efficient) programs that can help me pull files off of the hard drive? There are alot of important files on this computer (legal documents and such).

Rick

i was up last night thinking of how i can help and i remembered ... boot from your XP disk and go through the installation like you want to install it ... when you get to the screen asking you where you want to install windows select your current windows partition and press 'R' what should repair install for you.

what happend?
ok ASSEMBLER i am sorry, i use Norton and its excellent don't like people who say its rubbish!

easy option:
remove hard disk from computer
set the drive as slave
hook up to another machine (preferably one with a burner)
detect the disk in bios, then boot.
transfer any files you require, burn to CD(s)
remove drive, set as master, replace into orignial machine
format and reload, then transfer the files of the cd(s) you burnt.

Job done

edit:
you may want to scan the drive while it's out of the original machine - you never know but it might pick something up.

Try this first. If it doesn't work try slaving it to another machine and recover the files. If that doesn't work leave it in the other machine and get GetDataBack from Runtime.org.
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.
You can also try this. It is free.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html

Back
Top Bottom