Case swap...

seti,
alllll righty then, from the pictures and the temps, We now have something to work with.
Most definately the cpu fan is out of sync, and from what you said about the rpm dropping when temp rises(called reverse PWMx logic) and can be easily fixed with a utillity called speed fan(google for it) This allows you to control all the speeds and temps of your computer. It is a freebie and a great monitoring tool.
The cpu fan may also be a medium rpm fan that max's out @ 3000rpm and if that is the case needs to be replaced with a fan that has at the least a 5000 rpm rating so as to run between 4000 and 4600 rpm's which is about right for any cpu fan. But you can check out speed fan and then see if the values can be changed to support your board.
read the help file and you will see a notice about what to do for Reverse PWMx Logic. "F1" key opens help files.
The other thing that I would do is seperate those HDDs to allow more air flow through the center. As it is now the air is mostly directed towards the sides of your computer and really doesn't help you that much.
HTH

Ok...

Speed fan doesn't help. Tried it before. I'll get on the hard drive suggestion asap.

On top of all that...

I some how picked up a virus. A trojan really. Called Backdoor-AQH
Turns off active x controls and makes it so your anti virus dies. Got it squared away so now to unwrapping the wires and moving the hard drives around.

Sorrry, Took so long to get back.....went canoeing and relaxed a little.
Bad news the trojan...damn script kiddies...they all need to hung up by their privates & whipped by everyone that was ever infected by their garbage.
how the hdd move coming? nice job on the wire wrap, sorry to get you to have to dismantle and reasemble but it happens to the best of us. I have 3 drives also ..stuck in a raidmax case. The bottom drive I reversed so it would lay upside down on the bottom and then put a space between each of the others and they stay about 70 (F) with 2 fans running at 2400 rpms and then my cpu fan runs constant 4500 rpms @ 90 (F) Then I have an extra side panel fan (?rpm). Inside temp shows a constant
83 (F). But then again I am only running a slightly OC'd athalon 1800xp (1.83 ghz.) on a shuttle ak39n mobo with 512 ddr 400 with an ati 9000 all-in-wonder that I built about 4 years ago. While it is slightly lower in bench tests than some compatable machines it is the stablest machine I have ever been on. Only 1 time did it ever fail me in all that time and that was when a fan went out on the chip.
Keep me posted about the temps and I am trying to dig up some more info on that reverse speed problem.
later

Well...

I went ahead and got speed fan and couldn't get the cpu fan to go past 2519rpms. Put it on my fan speed controller and got the same results.
So I guess the cpu fan for some odd ball reason only goes to 2519rpms as top speed. The way the fan is mounted to the heatsink if I replace it I'll have to figure out how to make the heatsink stay on the cpu chip.
But you know the more I think about it the more it sounds like the fan has a built in thermal sensor and it's ignoring the pwm commands in favor of its own temp readings. I have search on aol and google and yahoo and dogpile with the numbers off the fan. Also been to the Intel site for info on the fan, no joy there. Guess I'm going to have to look in to getting another fan from Intel or an aftermarket fan.
As for the drives, I've been pretty busy lately at the hotel so have to wait till my day off thursday to do the shifting around.

Wow that fan doesn't just screw down into the heatsink on the corners as most others do? Strange hook-up there. I guess some more proprietary garbage to make you buy a lot more than what you need to get. Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like just a 60mm size fan. They make a plastic converter that goes from a 60mm to 80 mm for fitting on a heatsink or a case front/back. They also make a air tube for bringing air form a rear fan to deflect on to a heatsink. They are pretty cool as you can get them in different shapes and sizes.
http://www.bestbyteinc.com/products.asp?dept=119
and
http://www.bestbyteinc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FAN-TTA-DMO

Um...

The fan clips in to groves in the heatsink then the heatsink and fan as one assembly goes on the cpu chip. The sides of the fan have lock down clips that mate up with a peice that is mounted on the motherboard. It hooks to the posts sticking up from the motherboard. Then the latches take up any slack for a tight fit. Take the fan out and the heat sink comes out with it. I did find out it's a quiet fan rated at 2800rpms tops. Time to either figure out how to clip out the fan and keep the retainer clips or shop for a whole new HSF set up.

Yup...

The second one attaches the same as the stock HSF. At 6000rpms it's gonna get noisey but what the hey. Trouble I just don't buy over the net. I have seen that one locally somewhere.
But what I think I'll do in the mean time is get back on track the double wide project. Move the drives and the psu to the other case.

Back
Top Bottom